Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Brunswick in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Glynn County

 
 
Glynn County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, September 20, 2008
1. Glynn County Marker
Inscription.  Glynn County, one of the eight original Counties of Georgia, was organized under the 1777 Constitution of the State of Georgia. It was named in honor of John Glynn, a member of the British House of Commons who defended the cause of the American Colonies in the difficulties which led to the Revolutionary War.

Glynn County contains the lands formerly included in the Colonial Parishes of St. David, St. Patrick, and St. James, which had been organized in 1785.

Among the early officials were the Hon. George Walton, Signer of the Declaration of Independence, Judge of the Superior Court; James Spalding, Alexander Bissett, Richard Leake, and Raymond Demere, Justices of the Inferior Court; John Goode, Clerk of the Inferior and Superior Courts; John Palmer, Sheriff; John Burnett, Register of Probates; Richard Bradley, Tax Collector; Martin Palmer, Tax Receiver; Joshua Miller, Surveyor; Jacob Helvestine, Coroner; George Handley (who in 1788 was elected Governor of the State of Georgia) and Christopher Hillary, Legislators; George Purvis, Richard Pritchard, Moses Burnett, John Piles, and John Burnett, Commissioners of Glynn Academy.
Glynn County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
2. Glynn County Marker

 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-21.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraPolitical SubdivisionsSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 31° 9.139′ N, 81° 29.671′ W. Marker is in Brunswick, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of G Street and Union Street, on the left when traveling east on G Street. At the courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brunswick GA 31520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Glynn County War Memorial (here, next to this marker); Dedicated to the Veterans of 1898 -1902 (a few steps from this marker); Machen Square East (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bernice Echols Grant (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Machen Square East (approx. 0.2 miles away); Machen Square West (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jekyll Square East (approx. ¼ mile away); Colored Memorial School and Risley High School (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brunswick.
 
Also see . . .  Glynn County,. includes the most prominent of the Sea Islands of Georgia, including Jekyll Island, St. Simons
Glynn County Court House image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2008
3. Glynn County Court House
Island, and Sea Island. The Georgia poet Sidney Lanier immortalized the seacoast there in his poem, "The Marshes of Glynn", (Submitted on October 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 13, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,534 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 8, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Dec. 4, 2020