Woodbridge in Middlesex County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
By the Grace of God, “A building about thirty feet square unpainted inside and out, with no steeple or bell without and no stove within” was erected on this place in 1675 to serve as both a community church, town hall and burial ground on land granted to the town of Woodbridge under terms of a charter dated June 1, 1669 by Charles II King of England.
On September 10, 1710 the community church was admitted to the Philadelphia Presbytery. In 1803 a new building was erected. The foundation of the present sanctuary is the original 1803 foundation. Major renovations to the 1803 building were completed in 1875 and 1972 resulting in its present appearance. In recognition of its historical significance, this church and its cemetery were entered onto the New Jersey Register of Historic Places on January 25, 2008 and onto the National Register of Historic Places on May 2, 2008. (Marker Number 357.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites ⛪ series list. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1899.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge NJ 07095, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church of Woodbridge (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Aaron Dunn Homestead/Jost-Keating House (within shouting distance of this marker); Barron Library (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Barron Estate (about 300 feet away); Revolutionary Soldiers and Patriots of Woodbridge (about 300 feet away); Barron Arts Center (about 300 feet away); First Presbyterian Church Cemetery (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodbridge.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. The First Presbyterian Church and Cemetery are one one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location in front of church building).
The following text is taken from the
The First Presbyterian Church in Woodbridge has been a house of worship continuously since 1675, and a Presbyterian congregation since 1706. Its site, called Meeting House Green, sits on over five acres and is home to an extensive cemetery, which extends in the shape of a triangle and is home to many old-growth trees. Today the grounds contain over 3,000 graves, with the earliest dating to 1690. Prominent people interred there include Ruth Woodbridge Pierson, granddaughter of Rev. John Woodbridge, founder of the town; James Parker, first native-born New Jersey printer; Rev. Azel Roe, moderator of the PCUSA General Assembly in 1802; and Revolutionary War General Nathaniel Heard.
Also see . . . National Register of Historic Places datasheet. Statement of significance for this church and cemetery. (Submitted on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 7, 2018. It was originally submitted on January 21, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 320 times since then and 9 times this year. Last updated on August 22, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 21, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.