Hager Lifelong Education Center
Pennsylvania College of Technology History Trail Stop 12
1914 Centennial 2014
Constructed in 1984
The Hager Lifelong Education Center is dedicated in honor of a former state legislator, who was a strong supporter of the institution when it was a community college.
Following an extensive renovation, the Hager Lifelong Education Center was rededicated in 2010.
A Stroll Down Susquehanna Street
Now a pedestrian walkway, the land just west of the Lifelong Education Center once allowed vehicles to travel south toward the river on Susquehanna Street; the street now ends at West Third Street, near the Avco-Lycoming Metal Trades Center.
Many factories, warehouses, and businesses operated along Susquehanna Street before it became part of the campus and was closed to traffic.
Local legend suggests that, in 1923, Babe Ruth hit a baseball over a chair that sat on top of the Culler factory, a furniture company that once was located in this area.
Inside the Lifelong Education Center (LEC)
Dunham Children's Learning Center
Architectural technology lab
Henry G. Hager
Henry G. Hager served as President pro tempore of the Pennsylvania Senate
[Marker timeline images, from left to right]
For many years, this area behind the gymnasium was the former high school football field.
Williamsport Area Community College's radio station, WWAS, and Penn College's radio station, WPTC, operated and transmitted from the Lifelong Education Center.
In 2010, Dr. Robert E. Dunham, Chairman of the College Board of Directors, led a rededication ceremony following an extensive renovation.
[School's centennial timeline]
1914 - Williamsport Area School District Adult Education
1941 - Williamsport Technical Institute
1965 - Williamsport Area Community College
1989 - Pennsylvania College of Technology
Erected 2014 by Pennsylvania College of Technology.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Man-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 2010.
Location. 41° 14.191′ N, 77° 1.57′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker and building are on the
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Avco-Lycoming Metal Trades Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Centennial Mosaic (within shouting distance of this marker); Student Bodies (within shouting distance of this marker); Bardo Gymnasium (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Le Jeune Chef (about 300 feet away); Carl Building Technologies Center (about 400 feet away); Klump Academic Center (about 400 feet away); College Avenue Labs (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
Also see . . . Penn College History Trail. (Submitted on August 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on August 23, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on July 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.