Lancaster in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Presbyterian Church
American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Site
Erected 1984 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. (Marker Number 37.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the American Presbyterian and Reformed Historic Sites, the Former U.S. Presidents: #15 James Buchanan, and the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1742.
Location. 40° 2.391′ N, 76° 18.159′ W. Marker is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is on E. Orange Street, 0.1 miles west of N. Lime Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 E Orange Street, Lancaster PA 17603, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edward Shippen (within shouting distance of this marker); Jasper YeatesRobert Coleman (within shouting distance of this marker); General Edward Hand (within shouting distance of this marker); Major John Light (within shouting distance of this marker); William Augustus Atlee (within shouting distance of this marker); Captain Stephen Chambers (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Matthias Slough (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lancaster.
Regarding First Presbyterian Church. The First Presbyterian Church is one of 445 American Presbyterian and Reformed Historical Sites registered between 1973 and 2003 by the Presbyterian Historical Society (PHS), headquartered in Philadelphia. Approved sites received a metal plaque featuring John Calvin’s seal and the site’s registry number (PHS marker location unknown).
The following text is taken from the Presbyterian Historical Society website:
Presbyterians have been worshipping in Lancaster at least as early as 1742, and have had a church on the present site since 1770. The first regular pastor was John Woodhull, Revolutionary
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. James Buchanan's grave site in Woodward Hill Cemetery
Also see . . . MarkerQuest - First Presbyterian Church. Further information about the First Presbyterian Church of Lancaster. (Submitted on February 11, 2021, by Laura Klotz of Northampton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 12, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,434 times since then and 41 times this year. Last updated on August 24, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1. submitted on February 7, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2. submitted on April 12, 2012, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 3, 4. submitted on February 7, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.