Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
D'Iberville in Harrison County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
 

Harvey's Hill

 
 
Harvey's Hill Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 23, 2018
1. Harvey's Hill Marker
Inscription.  Before roads and bridges, trading-posts were essential on the Bay Pierre and Celina Harvey built their home on this site, acquired from her father Joe Moran. In the 1830s, along with their children and a black female with child, they completed their plans: A Back Bay ferry-landing, the trading post, a boatyard, lumber mill and a tavern called the Flying Tiger. For half a century the steam driven ferries Shrimp, Jennie and Old Sam transferred folks, livestock and cargo across the Back Bay.

Business tightened during the Civil War (recovery was never complete) Pierre died after the war; his son Casimer assumed management of it all. When the first Bay-bridge opened in 1901, to the east, a larger mercantile district evolved. Small trading posts, such as Harvey's, soon closed. The boatyard and lumber mill survived for a while.

A small fleet of schooners and trawlers were constructed by Casimer and later Davis Fayard. Post WWII, Wheeler Fletcher operated a sawmill here. After the 1947 hurricane, Leslie Quave and Benny Fournier built homes on the old boatyard and mill sites. Camille and Katrina removed everything.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2017 by the D'Iberville Historical Society, City of D'Iberville and Dale Greenwell.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1901.
 
Location. 30° 25.5′ N, 88° 53.725′ W. Marker is in D'Iberville, Mississippi, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of Bay Shore Drive and Boney Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Bay Shore Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Bay Shore Drive, Diberville MS 39540, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Santa Cruz Landing (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Quave Commercial Strip (approx. ¼ mile away); The Land and Legend of the Cross (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Five Trails (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Crossing (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Old Brickyard (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fort Maurepas and Old Biloxi (approx. 0.4 miles away); D'Iberville High School Original Site (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in D'Iberville.
 
View of marker and where ferry was used across the Back Bay. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 23, 2018
2. View of marker and where ferry was used across the Back Bay.
Harvey's Hill Marker looking east at the D'Iberville bridge. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, August 23, 2018
3. Harvey's Hill Marker looking east at the D'Iberville bridge.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 24, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 24, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122403

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 24, 2024