Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Hamilton in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

The Miami Canal

 
 
The Miami Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 21, 2018
1. The Miami Canal Marker
Side A
Inscription.  
Side A

The dimensions of the canal channel were 26 feet wide at the bottom and 40 feet wide at the top. The depth of the canal averaged four and one-half feet. The 12 locks were 80 feet long with 14-foot wide interior chambers which could accommodate boats up to 80 tons. The canal from Middletown to Cincinnati was 42 miles, cost about $10,400 per mile to build, and had a speed limit of four miles per hour.

Side B

Construction began in 1825 on the 20-mile segment of the Miami Canal from two miles north of Middletown to the head of Mill Creek. Canal boats were operating from Hartwell's Basin near Cincinnati to Middletown by Nov. 28, 1827. This early link in what became the Miami and Erie Canal joining in 1845 Toledo and Cincinnati by water was restored in 1971 by the Butler County Park district.
 
Erected 1971 by The Butler County Park District, The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 1-9.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
 
Location. 39° 25.295′ N, 84° 30.091′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is in Rentschler Forest MetroPark near the Old Stone House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5701 Reigart Rd,, Hamilton OH 45011, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hamilton Civil War Memorial (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Amish Mennonite Settlement (approx. 2.6 miles away); Woodsdale (approx. 2.6 miles away); Chrisholm (approx. 2.6 miles away); Warren Gard (approx. 2.8 miles away); Busenbark / Dr. Charles F. Richter (approx. 3.2 miles away); Beckett Homesite (approx. 3.2 miles away); Champion Hamilton Mill (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hamilton.
 
The Miami Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 21, 2018
2. The Miami Canal Marker
Side B
The Miami Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 21, 2018
3. The Miami Canal Marker
Full view of marker
The Miami Canal Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, August 21, 2018
4. The Miami Canal Marker
Marker with the Old Stone House. The Great Miami River is in the background, the photographer is standing near the canal bed.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 25, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 25, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122419

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024