Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Williamsport in Lycoming County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Madigan Library

Pennsylvania College of Technology History Trail Stop 3

— 1914 • Centennial • 2014 —

 
 
Madigan Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 22, 2018
1. Madigan Library Marker
Inscription.  

Constructed in 2006

The Madigan Library offers a large collection of resources and relaxing spaces to serve students and community needs.

The 1,000-seat facility provides excellent facilities for reading, studying, and conducting research. In addition to a vast collection of books and media resources, the library provides computer laboratories, group study rooms, and an outdoor reading area.

Clock Icon
Outside the library's main entrance, a galvanized-steel icon housing a large clock highlights the distinctive nature of the facility. The icon, which is repeated in interior details, was designed by the building's primary architect and interior designer, Benedict H. Dubbs, Jr., of Murray Associates, P.C.

College President Davie Jane Gilmour said the icon speaks to the College's applied technology mission. "We're an institution that is based in technology ... It would be inappropriate for us to build a sort of ivy-covered-wall building ... That's not what we are about."

Inside the Library (LIB)
• The Gallery at Penn College

• James Everett Logue popular reading atrium

• Bookmarks Cafe

Roger

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
and Peggy Madigan

Roger A. Madigan, a former member of the College Board of Directors, served in the Pennsylvania Senate from 1985 until his retirement in 2009. The Commonwealth contributed $7 million toward the cost of the library's construction in honor of the Madigans' public service.

[Marker timeline images, from left to right]
• Until this permanent home was established, the library moved frequently. From 1966 through 1968, it was housed in an off-campus building at 1223 West Fourth Street, several blocks west of campus. From 1968 through 1981, the library was located inside the Rishel Building at 1201 West Third Street.

• In 1981, the College opened a Learning Resource Center (LRC) inside space that is now part of the Hager Lifelong Education Center. In 1984, the library within the LRC was dedicated in honor of Dr. John T. Shuman, a Williamsport Technical Institute teacher and administrator, who also was a noted author of textbooks for vocational students.

• In 2005, ground was broken for the construction of the new library building, which was dedicated to Roger and Peggy Madigan on September 12, 2006.

[School's centennial timeline]
1914 - Williamsport Area School District Adult Education

1941 - Williamsport Technical Institute

1965 - Williamsport Area Community College

1989 - Pennsylvania College of Technology

Madigan Library and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., June 22, 2018
2. Madigan Library and Marker

 
Erected 2014 by Pennsylvania College of Technology.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, MusicCharity & Public WorkEducationMan-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 2006.
 
Location. 41° 14.096′ N, 77° 1.359′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is at the intersection of Hagan Way and College Avenue, on the left when traveling west on Hagan Way. Marker and building are on the Pennsylvania College of Technology campus. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Williamsport PA 17701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bush Campus Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Student & Administrative Services Center (within shouting distance of this marker); W.D. Crooks & Sons Door Plant (within shouting distance of this marker); Main Entrance (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Victorian House (about 600 feet away); Remembrance Garden (approx. 0.2 miles away); Breuder Advanced Technology & Health Sciences Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thompson Professional Development Center (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
 
Also see . . .
1. Penn College History Trail.
Pennsylvania College of Technology Sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr.
3. Pennsylvania College of Technology Sign
(Submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Madigan Library. (Submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 182 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on July 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122461

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024