Student & Administrative Services Center
Pennsylvania College of Technology History Trail Stop 2
1914 Centennial 2014
Constructed in 2003
Designed for the convenience of students and the public, the Student & Administrative Services Center provides easy access to important campus services. First-time visitors typically begin their tours of campus at this location.
The design of the three-story, cast-stone structure with a high-tech appeal is a departure from a more traditional yellow-brick exterior that is featured in most of the 20th century architecture on campus.
A large-scale art piece - created by students, faculty, staff, and visiting artist Antonio Puri - was installed in the center in 2010. The piece, which combines 100 canvases and 39 recycled wooden cigar boxes, signifies how art and technology come together.
Puri, a Philadelphia-based artist born in India, worked with students and other volunteers over four days to complete the work.
Student & Administrative Services Center (SASC)
The "core" meeting space
[Marker timeline images, from left to right]
Before the College Store moved to this location, it was located
Prior to the construction of the SASC, services were scattered around the campus. Admissions and most services directly impacting new students were headquartered in the Klump Academic Center, the most historic building on campus, and the location where classes were first offered in 1914.
Murray Associates Architects, P.C., Harrisburg, designed this building and the adjacent Madigan Library to create an impressive visual introduction to the campus.
[School's centennial timeline]
1914 - Williamsport Area School District Adult Education
1941 - Williamsport Technical Institute
1965 - Williamsport Area Community College
1989 - Pennsylvania College of Technology
Erected 2014 by Pennsylvania College of Technology.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Man-Made Features. A significant historical year for this entry is 2003.
Location. 41° 14.12′ N, 77° 1.355′ W. Marker is in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, in Lycoming County. Marker is at the intersection of Hagan Way and Park Street, on the right when traveling west on Hagan Way. Marker and building are on the Pennsylvania College of Technology campus.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bush Campus Center (within shouting distance of this marker); Madigan Library (within shouting distance of this marker); W.D. Crooks & Sons Door Plant (within shouting distance of this marker); Main Entrance (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Victorian House (about 600 feet away); Remembrance Garden (about 700 feet away); Carl Building Technologies Center (approx. 0.2 miles away); Thompson Professional Development Center (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
Also see . . . Penn College History Trail. (Submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on July 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.