Pennsylvania College of Technology History Trail Stop 17
1914 Centennial 2014
Constructed in 2006
An area of respite, reflection, and remembrance, the Remembrance Garden is located near the site of a former campus and community landmark.
For many years, the administrative headquarters of Williamsport Technical Institute and Williamsport Area Community College, a former trolley car building, known as "Unit 6," was on this site.
The centerpiece of the garden is a sculpture titled "Interface," designed by Frederick T. Gilmour, '66, '74. Gilmour designed many iconic symbols for both Williamsport Area Community College and Pennsylvania College of Technology.
A member of WACC's first graduating class, Gilmour later served as executive director of the College Foundation and director of instructional technology and distance learning.
Alumni contributions supported the design and construction of the Interface sculpture, which was dedicated in 1989 and originally placed in a courtyard previously located between the Lifelong Education Center and Building Technologies Center.
In the Garden
Bench, tables, and seating
[Marker timeline images, from left to right]
Williamsport Railway Company built a "car barn" on this site in 1926; the barn had nine tracks that could carry up to 45 trolley cars. The last trolleys ran in 1933.
The building served as a factory - R and G Knitting Mills - until after World War II, when it became the administrative headquarters for the technical institute.
"Unit 6" deteriorated over the years. When it was demolished in 1985, the razing of its brick smokestacks symbolized the end of an era and the beginning of a new period of growth and expansion on campus.
The office of the College president was in "Unit 6," the former trolley car building until 1984, when administrative offices were relocated to the second floor of Hager Lifelong Education Center.
[School's centennial timeline]
1914 - Williamsport Area School District Adult Education
1941 - Williamsport Technical Institute
1965 - Williamsport Area Community College
1989 - Pennsylvania College of Technology
Erected 2014 by Pennsylvania College of Technology.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Man-Made Features • Patriots & Patriotism. A significant historical year for this entry is 2006.
Location. 41° 14.222′ N, 77°
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Carl Building Technologies Center (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Klump Academic Center (about 600 feet away); Student Bodies (about 600 feet away); Hager Lifelong Education Center (about 600 feet away); Bardo Gymnasium (about 700 feet away); Avco-Lycoming Metal Trades Center (about 700 feet away); Victorian House (about 700 feet away); W.D. Crooks & Sons Door Plant (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Williamsport.
Also see . . . Penn College History Trail. (Submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 26, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on July 27, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.