Farmington in St. Francois County, Missouri — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Oldest Brick Building in Downtown Farmington
Robert O. and Ann Tetley
in 1868, the face of this building is
granite and hand-made brick
from the Civil War era.
Ozarks Federal Savings
and Load Association
Location. 37° 46.82′ N, 90° 25.229′ W. Marker is in Farmington, Missouri, in St. Francois County. Marker is on East Columbia Street east of South Washington Street, on the right when traveling east. Marker is mounted at eye-level near the northwest corner of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14 East Columbia Street, Farmington MO 63640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Pilot Knob (approx. 16.3 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Pilot Knob (approx. 17.1 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Pilot Knob (approx. 17.1 miles away).
Regarding Oldest Brick Building in Downtown Farmington. The subject building presently houses a retail business. Included within the East Columbia Historic
Also see . . .
1. What's in a name - Tetley Building. The Tetley family added the building at 20 - 24 East Columbia St. to the family real estate portfolio in 1912. The prominent Farmington family were the proprietors of Tetley Jewelry Store, founded by Robert T. Tetley and his wife, Ann Gay Tetley around 1869. From 1869 until 1977 - the year Howard sold his store to William Krekeler - there had been a Tetley Jewelry in downtown Farmington. According to the Farmington Historic Preservation Committee, the building was the location of Laakman Drug Store, which was the first air-conditioned business in Farmington. (Submitted on August 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. East Columbia Historic District. The East Columbia Historic District is a national historic district located at Farmington, St. Francois County, Missouri. The district encompasses 11 contributing buildings in the central business district of Farmington. It developed between about 1879 and 1954, and includes representative examples of Late Victorian, Beaux Arts, and Bungalow / American Craftsman style architecture. Notable buildings include the Tetley Jewelry Store (c. 1879), & U.S. Post Office (c. 1932) (Submitted on August 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Categories. • Architecture • Man-Made Features • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Oldest Brick Building in Downtown Farmington.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 11, 2019. This page originally submitted on August 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 26, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.