Columbia in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First National Bank
As the only bridge crossing the Susquehanna between Harrisburg and the Mason-Dixon Line, it attracted canals and railroad lines to Columbia. It also drew the attention of the Confederate Army, which invaded Pennsylvania in June 1863. As the Rebels approached the bridge on June 28, Union troops torched it.
A newspaper published the following statement: “The burning of the bridge… has given rise to a rumor that its loss would have the effect of impairing the credit of the Columbia Bank. This now seems will not be the case, as the structure was destroyed by order of the military authorities, thus making the Government responsible for all loss.” The bank was
Erected by Pennsylvania Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Civil War Trails series list.
Location. 40° 1.846′ N, 76° 30.243′ W. Marker is in Columbia, Pennsylvania, in Lancaster County. Marker is at the intersection of South 2nd Street and Locust Street, on the left when traveling north on South 2nd Street. Marker is located outside the First National Bank Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 170 Locust Street, Columbia PA 17512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Susquehannock Apartments (within shouting distance of this marker); Railroads During the Civil War (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Columbia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lincoln Highway (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Old Columbia Public Grounds Co. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia and Its Railroads (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia: a Transportation Hub (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Civil War: Burning of the
Also see . . . First National Bank Museum. (This link presents photos of the bank interior and artifacts.) The First National Bank Museum is the only known bank preserved in its original setting in the United States. The bank occupies the two front corner rooms of the 1814 Federal-style townhouse built as an elegant home for wealthy merchant, James Wright, Jr., grandson of Columbia’s founding father, John Wright, Sr. During its colorful and interesting past, the building served as private residences, hotels, a tavern, and one of the town’s first public libraries. The bank, and its owners, the Detwiler family, occupied the property for over 100 years from 1852 until 1954. Marvelous details from the bank's working years survive, such as the walnut paying and receiving teller cages, the furnishings of the President's office, the massive walk-in vault, and the original check canceller consisting of a tree stump and a specially designed hammer. View the bullet hole where the only known attempted robbery was foiled. (Submitted on August 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 6, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 163 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 29, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7, 8. submitted on September 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.