Near Stockton in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Public Education in Baldwin County / Little Red Schoolhouse Historic Site
The Baldwin County Board of Education petitioned the Baldwin County Historic Development Commission on March 20, 2008, for Historic Site Designation, pursuant to the authority conveyed by Act No. 80-497, as amended by Act No. 89-960, and during their May 13, 2008 regular meeting, the Baldwin County Historic Development Commission approved the designation of the Little Red Schoolhouse as a Historic Site in Baldwin County, Alabama.
Erected 2008 by
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Education • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical date for this entry is March 20, 2008.
Location. 30° 58.272′ N, 87° 51.947′ W. Marker is near Stockton, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker is on Alabama Route 225, on the left when traveling north. Located at entrance to the Baldwin County Bicentennial Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51233 AL-225, Bay Minette AL 36507, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. All Gave Some - Some Gave All (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baldwin County Vietnam War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gen. Bernardo de Galvez (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baldwin County Korean War Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Baldwin County World War II Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sea Coast Mortar (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Creek War (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Society War of 1812 in the State of Alabama (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockton.
More about this marker. The schoolhouse was moved in March 2017 from its temporary location behind the Baldwin County Board of Education office in Bay Minette, to the Baldwin County Bicentennial Park.
Regarding Public Education in Baldwin County / Little Red Schoolhouse Historic Site. The Little Red Schoolhouse was originally in the Bromley community and was built to educate the children of former slaves. The former president of Sears, Julius
The building cost sixteen hundred dollars with five hundred dollars coming from Rosenwald. Eleven hundred dollars came from contributions from local residents The school served students from 1920 to 1950. The school was abandoned from 1950 until 1979, when it was moved to White House Fork and used a kindergarten classroom for the White House Fork School.
Also see . . . Video of the Little Red Schoolhouse - inside and outside. (YouTube video). (Submitted on August 30, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 30, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 291 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 30, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.