Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Newbury in Geauga County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

This Tablet Marks the Site of Union Chapel

 
 
This Tablet Marks the Site of Union Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
1. This Tablet Marks the Site of Union Chapel Marker
Inscription.  Built by citizens of South Newbury, Ohio on land donated by Anson Mathews in 1856. This chapel was dedicated to
Free Speech
by
James Abram Garfield
Twentieth President of the United States
Other speakers in this chapel were

Susan B. Anthony
Louisa M. Alcott
Lucy Stone
Theodore Parker
John B. Gough
----------
On January 12, 1874, the Newbury Women's Suffrage Political Club was organized in this chapel with twenty-four charter members.
On July 4, 1876, this club planted the Centennial Oak on a spot three-hundred thirty feet north of this site, and on the opposite side of the road.
 
Erected 1931 by Lakewood Chapter DAR, The Newbury Memorial Association.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionGovernment & PoliticsWomen. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 12, 1874.
 
Location. 41° 26.282′ N, 81° 12.467′ W. Marker
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
is in Newbury, Ohio, in Geauga County. Marker is on Ravenna Road (Ohio Route 44) 0.3 miles north of Bell Street (Local Route 10), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newbury OH 44065, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. South Newbury Union Chapel (here, next to this marker); Welcome To Burton's Historic District (approx. 3.9 miles away); Century Building (approx. 3.9 miles away); The Burton Village Historic District (approx. 3.9 miles away); The Hickox Brick (approx. 3.9 miles away); Under This Penstock Base (approx. 4 miles away); The Second High School / The Burton Public Library (approx. 4 miles away); Burton (approx. 4 miles away).
 
This Tablet Marks the Site of Union Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 31, 2018
2. This Tablet Marks the Site of Union Chapel Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 181 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 1, 2018, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=122752

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 23, 2024