Iola in Waupaca County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
School House Ski Hill
The Iola Ski Club’s founding officers: president Oscar Wrolstad, permanent clerk H. C. Cleaves, and treasurer G. L. Gunderson. The January 13, 1910, Iola Herald reported their first mission would be the “building of a slide to be erected on the hill just west of the High school,” with the skier landing area on West State Street in the area of this sign’s placement. The first competition on the hill was held on Sunday, January 30, 1910, with first place in Class A
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other
going to M. Grenli of Nelsonville with a jump of 40-1/2 feet and a point total of 116, while the Class B winner was Helmer Johnson of Nelsonville with a jump of 39-1/2 feet and a point total of 103.
Over 1,000 spectators were reported to have been in attendance at that first School House Ski Hill tournament, many of whom arrived on a special train excursion from Waupaca. Building on that success, a second tournament was conducted on Sunday February 27, 1910.
The 1911 and 1912 tournaments were moved to a new location, Slaughter House Ski Hill, situated on the Taylor property on the east side of Iola, now a part of the Glacier Wood Golf Course. This scaffolding structure remained standing for many years, being used by local skiers for practice. On February 18, 1913, a new Knutson Ski Hill tournament location was inaugurated on the Clarence Knutson farm outside of Town in the Town of St. Lawrence. The 11915 tournament jumps posted on Knutson Ski Hill, in the range of 140 feet, were longer than those recorded at that year’s national tournament hosted in Duluth.
Erected 2017 by Iola Historical Society. (Marker Number 9.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • Sports. A significant historical date for this entry is January 11, 1910.
Location. 44° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 390 W State Street, Iola WI 54945, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Iola’s Firefighting Heritage (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The “Spud Alley” Era (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1999 Father's Day Fire (approx. 0.2 miles away); Iola’s Dr. Loope (approx. ¼ mile away); The CWEC Electrified Rural Iola in 1939 (approx. ¼ mile away); Iola Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); R. I. Anderson Machine Shop (approx. ¼ mile away); Iola Mills (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Iola.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2018, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 96 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on September 12, 2018, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 12, 2018, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.