Chatsworth in Murray County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Murray County, Created by Act of Dec. 3, 1832 from Cherokee, originally contained Whitfield, Walker, Catoosa, Dade and part of Chattooga Counties. Settled by people from Tenn., N.C., and Ga., it was named for Thomas Walton Murray (1790-1832). A native of Lincoln County, a lawyer, legislator, and speaker of the house, he acquired distinction for his independence and honesty. A candidate for Congress, he died before the election. First officers of Murray County, commissioned March 20, 1833, were: Nelson Dickerson, Clk. Sup. Ct.; John Sloan, Clk. Inf. Ct.; James C. Barnett, Sheriff; Thomas Gann, Surveyor; Adam Gann, Coroner.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 105-11.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Law Enforcement • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 20, 1853.
Location. 34° 46.011′ N, 84° 46.192′ W. Marker is in Chatsworth, Georgia, in Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chatsworth GA 30705, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Springplace Mission (approx. 2.7 miles away); Principal Chief Charles Renatus Hicks (approx. 2.7 miles away); "God's Acre" (approx. 2.7 miles away); Anna Rosina Kliest Gambold (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Moravian Mission to the Cherokee Indians (approx. 2.7 miles away); Springplace Moravian Mission & School (approx. 2.7 miles away); Fort Hoskins (approx. 2.8 miles away); Chief Vann House (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chatsworth.
Also see . . . Murray County, Georgia. County Official Website homepage (Submitted on October 10, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 10, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,441 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 10, 2008, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.