Charles "Chalou" Trepagnier Building
This building built in 1868 served as the Ascension parish Courthouse and jail. On June 1, 2017, the Ascension Parish Council officially changed the name to Charles "Chalou" Trepagnier Building in honor of his 51 years as a law enforcer.
Born to cariogero Trapani from Salaparta, Sicily, and Virginia Cantella from Gibellina, Sicily, on March 12, 1906. At his baptism the priest misspelled his name Carlogero Trapani to Charles Trepagnier and this became his Americanized name. Chalou and his siblings Phillip, Joe, Frank, Victor, Virginia, Mary and Margret worked hard on their dad's farm and in his grocery store on Front Street in Donaldsonville. At the age of 18 Chalou became deputy and jailer and lived in the jail. He married Mary Falsetta and they had four children Virgie, Charles III, Anthony and Rosemary. His exploits in the line of deputy and chief of police are legendary, He died September 14, 1985.Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Donaldsonville LA 70346, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Donaldsonville (within shouting distance of this marker); Louisiana Square (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Francis T. Nicholls (about 400 feet away); War Veterans Memorial (about 500 feet away); Crescent Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Donaldsonville (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dedicated to the Memory Of (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Butler (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Donaldsonville.
More about this marker. Mounted on the wall of the old Ascension Parish jail building.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 183 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 23, 2018.