St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Wesley Oak
Not far from this spot stood the "great tree" under which Charles Wesley had prayers and preached, March 14, 1736, the first Sunday after his arrival. There were about twenty people present, among whom was Mr. Oglethorpe. A year later, Georgia Whitfield, appointed by the Bishop of London to serve as Deacon at Savannah and Frederica, wrote in his Journal (August 8, 1737): "In the evening we had publick Prayers, and expounding of the second Lesson under a large tree, and many more present than could be expected."
A wooden Cross made from a tree long designated as the Wesley Oak hangs on the wall of Christ Church near the pulpit.
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-34A.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Labor Unions • Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 31° 13.184′ N, 81° 23.202′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christ Church Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Christ Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Reverends John & Charles Wesley / Wesley Memorial Garden (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battle of Gully Hole Creek (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. Simons Island (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Georgia Navy (approx. 0.2 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frederica - Military Road (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Also see . . . Georgia's Landmarks, Memorials, and Legends ... By Lucian Lamar Knight, Pages 66-68. The Wesley Oak (Submitted on October 10, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 10, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,929 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on October 11, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos: 1. submitted on May 10, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on October 10, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on May 10, 2009, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.