St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Here in 1736, Oglethorpe settled a group of German Lutherans, known as Salzburgers, and their settlement was called the German Village. These Salzburgers made their living by planting, fishing, and selling their products to the Frederica settlers. When Oglethorpe's regiment was disbanded in 1749 the Salzburgers left St. Simons Island.
During the Plantation Era, the Wylly family lived here, their plantation being called "The Village."
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-8.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 31° 13.71′ N, 81° 21.744′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Lawrence Rd and Village Dr, on the right when traveling north on Lawrence Rd. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of Harrington Hall (approx. 0.6 miles away); Sinclair Plantation (approx. 0.6 miles away); Pike's Bluff (approx. 0.9 miles away); Battle of Gully Hole Creek (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Military Road (approx. 1˝ miles away); The Georgia Navy (approx. 1˝ miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 1˝ miles away); St. Simons Island (approx. 1˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Regarding German Village. German Village was the original site of the German Salzburgers who populated the island during the early 1700s. After Georgia established itself as a British colony, most Salzburgers moved into the mainland. By the early 1800s the area was absorbed into Alexander Wylly's plantation called "The Village." Today all that is left is the historic marker located on Lawrence Road at Village Drive just 1.2 miles north of Frederica Road.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,502 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 12, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.