Pierre in Hughes County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Hughes County Courthouse / Site of First Library in Pierre
Hughes County Courthouse (marker side 1)
The Hughes County Courthouse was built and occupied in February 1935, to replace the original 1883 brick structure. The new Courthouse was designed by architects Hugill and Blatherwick of Sioux Falls and constructed by Henry Carlson Company of Sioux Falls at a cost of $129,410. The walls are cut South Dakota granite with Hot Springs sandstone trim.
The Fire Marshall declared the 1883 courthouse unsafe, due to its 16 heating stoves and faulty wiring. The brick building was leveled by WPA Labor. The original bricks salvaged from the courthouse were reused to line the interior walls of the 1935 courthouse. The outside concrete nameplate from the old courthouse was placed on a first floor wall of the new building.
Site of First Library in Pierre (marker side 2)
Built in 1904 with a $12,500 gift from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation, the Library opened its doors on March 10, 1905. The Pierre Women’s Club provided the first collection of 800 books. The Neo-Classical Library built of native-cut boulders, and the small dome provided light for the reading
Erected 2001 by The Pierre Historic Preservation Commission, the Hughes County Commission, and the City of Pierre. (Marker Number 692.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the Carnegie Libraries 📚, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects series lists.
Location. 44° 22.149′ N, 100° 21.009′ W. Marker is in Pierre, South Dakota, in Hughes County. Marker is on North Euclid Avenue (U.S. 83) south of East Prospect Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located beside the sidewalk, on the west side of Euclid Avenue, at the north end of the courthouse parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 East Capitol Avenue, Pierre SD 57501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Hughes County Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); First and Only Hanging in Hughes CountyCharles Hyde's Legacy (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); John Sutherland and the Capital Fights (about 800 feet away); Combat Wounded Veterans (approx. ¼ mile away); Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free Land (approx. ¼ mile away); South Dakota State Capitol (approx. ¼ mile away); Soldiers' & Sailors' World War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pierre.
Regarding Hughes County Courthouse / Site of First Library in Pierre. Hughes County Courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places (1993).
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 5, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 75 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 7, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.