St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Spanish Garden
Spain maintained missions along this coast for more than a century. Beginning in 1568 Jesuit and, later, Franciscan missionaries labored to Christianize the Indians and cultivated in the mission gardens figs, peaches, oranges and other plants introduced from Europe. Due to Indian uprisings, pirate raids and British depredations these missions were removed further south in 1686.
A map of St, Simons Island made in 1739 by Capt. John Thomas, engineer in Oglethorpe`s Regiment, locates an
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 063-6.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1568.
Location. 31° 8.118′ N, 81° 23.416′ W. Marker is in St. Simons IslandTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Delegal's Fort (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Saint Simons (about 700 feet away); Couper's Point (approx. 0.2 miles away); Welcome to St. Simons Light! (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort St. Simons (approx. 0.2 miles away); Keepers of the Light (approx. 0.2 miles away); Historic St. Simons Lighthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Early History of St. Simons Island (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,247 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 13, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.