Brevard in Transylvania County, North Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
North Carolina / South Carolina
North Carolina. Colonized, 1585-87, by first English settlers in America; permanently settled C. 1650; First to vote Readiness for Independence. Apr. 12 1776
South Carolina. Formed in 1712 from part of Carolina, which was chartered in 1663, it was first settled by the English in 1670. One of the 13 original States.
Erected 1941 by State Historical Commission. (Marker Number P-13.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the North Carolina Division of Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1585.
Location. 35° 7.789′ N, 82° 38.345′ W. Marker is in Brevard, North Carolina, in Transylvania County. Marker is at the intersection of Greenville Hwy (U.S. 276) and Solomon Jones Road on Greenville Hwy. Marker is at state line. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brevard NC 28712, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow fliesTommy Wyche (approx. 1.6 miles away in South Carolina); Point of View (approx. 1.6 miles away in South Carolina); Welcome to Caesars Head State Park (approx. 1.8 miles away in South Carolina); Raven Cliff Falls (approx. 1.9 miles away in South Carolina); Conestee (approx. 6.2 miles away); Dunn's Rock Masonic (approx. 6.2 miles away); Gap Creek Baptist Church (approx. 6½ miles away in South Carolina); Beliefs Set in Stone (approx. 7.2 miles away in South Carolina). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brevard.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2008, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 817 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 13, 2008, by Stanley and Terrie Howard of Greer, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.