Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jefferson in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Jefferson Town Well

 
 
The Jefferson Well Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, October 5, 2018
1. The Jefferson Well Marker
Inscription.  
The device in front of you is the actual water pump used by Jefferson residents to draw water from the town well. During the 1800's and until 1960, residents obtained water from the well located in the center of town. The well offered tremendous convenience to local residents who previously had to walk some distance to area springs and streams to collect fresh water.

The construction and use of community wells grew rapidly in the United States in the 1820s-1830s following the development of the augur boring (drilling) machine. Over time, homeowners in Jefferson and throughout America began to hire companies to drill wells on their property. Today, privately-owned wells are the source of fresh water for most local residents.

America's First Utility
The important presence of fresh water determined where new towns and villages would be located in early America. Centrally-located community wells with hand cranked pumps made the task of getting water easier to access. The well also served as a gathering place where local residents met and caught up on the latest news.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkNatural ResourcesWaterways & Vessels.
 
Location. 39° 21.625′ N, 77° 31.876′ W. Marker is in Jefferson, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker can be reached from Lander Road A. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4603 Lander Road A, Jefferson MD 21755, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Honoring Our Veterans (a few steps from this marker); Jefferson (within shouting distance of this marker); Abraham Lakin 2nd (approx. 2.4 miles away); Shafer's Mill (approx. 3.9 miles away); Fall and Rise of an Aqueduct (approx. 3.9 miles away); Stones Reunited (approx. 3.9 miles away); Catoctin Aqueduct (approx. 3.9 miles away); Aqueduct Stones (approx. 3.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jefferson.
 
The Jefferson Town Well Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, October 5, 2018
2. The Jefferson Town Well Marker
Farmer Pumping water at a community Well in Pie Town New Mexico, circa 1940. image. Click for full size.
3. Farmer Pumping water at a community Well in Pie Town New Mexico, circa 1940.
The cost of having a private well drilled was expensive for many people. Because of this, local and outlying residents depended on a community well for fresh water.
Close-up of Library of Congress photo on marker
Children pump water at Hampton Institute Virginia image. Click for full size.
4. Children pump water at Hampton Institute Virginia
Metal well pumps, as the one shown in this photo, were first invented in 1948.
Close-up of Library of Congress photo on marker
Map of Jefferson image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Isaac Bond, 1858
5. Map of Jefferson
Jefferson's community well was constructed to serve the residents of the 62-lot town as illustrated in this detail from the 1858 Map of Frederick County, Maryland by Issac Bond.
Close-up of map on marker
The Town Well image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, October 5, 2018
6. The Town Well
The Jefferson town well was constructed in the early to mid-18OOs. It measured 67 feet deep by 3 feet in diameter. Because of reduced use and the widening of Main Street, the well was closed. It was covered with a metal plate in 1960 and later filled in 2018.
Close-up of photo on marker
Jefferson image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Yontz, 1999
7. Jefferson
Founded in 1774, Jefferson prospered in the 1800s because of its location on the Jefferson Pike (now Route 180), which connects Frederick, MD with Harpers Ferry, WV.

Here a plaque is placed at 3819 Jefferson Pike where the well was located.
Close-up of painting by David Yontz, 1999, on marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 229 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on October 9, 2018, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=124446

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024