Near Deadwood in Lawrence County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Civilian Conservation Corps Camp
Camp F-20 / Park Creek
2.75 mi N on FH 180; W of creek
Companies: 2759V – 11/2/34-7/30/41; 792 – 10/11/41-12/14/41
The Civilian Conservation Corps was a federal relief program during 1933-1942 that gave jobless men work renovating abused lands. The Army build 48 200-man camps in South Dakota and provided food, clothing, medical care, pay and programs of education, recreation and religion for 23,709 war veterans and enrollees (single men aged 17-25 who sent $25 of their $30 wage to their families). Camps and work projects were supervised by another 2834 men. The Office of Indian Affairs sponsored the CCC-ID for South Dakota Tribes, housing 8405 men in youth boarding camps, home camps, and family camps.
Camp F-20 was part of a national CCC program to renovate forests and build more recreation areas. Work projects, supervised by the USDA Forest Service, included tree thinning, pruning and planting; fire prevention and suppression; rodent, disease and insect control; grazing land improvement and recreation area development. Veterans thinned 45,000 acres of pine and pruned
Erected 1992 by CCC Alumni, South Dakota State Historical Society, State Department of Transportation and The Black Hills National Forest.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Parks & Recreational Areas. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) 🏞️ series list.
Location. 44° 18.407′ N, 103° 40.583′ W. Marker is near Deadwood, South Dakota, in Lawrence County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 385 and Galena Road (Forest Road 534), on the right when traveling north on U.S. 385. Marker is located on the north side of the highway, beside the Wild Bill's Campground parking lot. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pluma's Power Plants (approx. 4.8 miles away); Pluma: Right Place, Right Time (approx. 4.8 miles away); Good Roads Movement & Lawrence County (approx. 4.8 miles away); Flooding & The Railroads (approx. 4.8 miles away); Cheyenne & Deadwood Stage Route (approx. 4.8 miles away); George S. Mickelson Trail (approx. 4.8 miles away); Track or Trail: Sweat Equity Played a Role (approx. 5.1 miles away); Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad Yard (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Deadwood.
More about this marker. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series
Also see . . . South Dakota Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Park Creek (Galena). (This link presents photos of the camp buildings and camp site.) Camp Park Creek, sometimes called Galena, was located about 8 miles southwest of Sturgis on Road 170 just across a ridge southeast of the old mining town of Galena (1935). The site, an ideal location for a CCC camp, was a long oval-shaped clearing extending north and south along the west bank of Park Creek. The area was practically level, sloping gently to the north, affording good drainage. From this sheltered and pleasant little valley the pine-clad bluffs rose abruptly along both the east and west sides, giving an immensely scenic effect (1935). The original buildings consisted (Submitted on October 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 79 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.