Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Climax in Decatur County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Climax, Georgia

 
 
Climax, Georgia Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 6, 2003
1. Climax, Georgia Marker
Inscription.  

Climax is the highest point on the railroad between Savannah, Ga., and the Chattahoochee River. The town was laid out and named in 1883 after a branch rail line was built to Chattahoochee, Fla. Later, a second branch rail line was built to Amsterdam, Ga. The town served as a rail junction and an agricultural community for many years, but was not incorporated until Aug. 11, 1905. It flourished, with businesses, churches, a school, hotels, and services needed to sustain the community. With the coming of paved highways and the cutback of rail services, the town's economic strength declined.
 
Erected 1986 by The Historic Chattahoochee Commission, The City of Climax and the Decatur County Commission.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureRailroads & Streetcars. A significant historical date for this entry is August 11, 1863.
 
Location. 30° 52.571′ N, 84° 25.969′ W. Marker is in Climax, Georgia, in Decatur County. Marker is at the intersection of W Broad Street and Drane St, on the right when traveling east on W Broad Street.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is located at the Climax, GA, City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Climax GA 39834, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Flint River Baptist Normal Institute / Union Normal School (approx. 7.8 miles away); Hutto School (approx. 7.9 miles away); Battle of 1702 (approx. 8.3 miles away); The Tonge Factory (approx. 8.4 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of 1702 (approx. 8.4 miles away); Camp Recovery (approx. 8.7 miles away); In Memory of Revolutionary Soldiers (approx. 8.7 miles away); El Camino Real (approx. 8.7 miles away).
 
Regarding Climax, Georgia. The "kissing pigs", logo for Swine Time, are well known throughout Decatur County.
 
Climax, Georgia Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Google Street View, circa April 2013
2. Climax, Georgia Marker
This marker has been moved to the Climax City Hall. New coordinates are N30.87619° W84.43291°
Climax, Georgia Welcome Sign image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 6, 2003
3. Climax, Georgia Welcome Sign
Marker in field, site of "Swine Time", adjoining Climax, Georgia Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, August 6, 2003
4. Marker in field, site of "Swine Time", adjoining Climax, Georgia Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 3,477 times since then and 75 times this year. Last updated on October 14, 2018, by Ray King of Jacksonville, Florida. Photos:   1. submitted on July 26, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on October 14, 2018, by Ray King of Jacksonville, Florida.   3, 4. submitted on July 26, 2008, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=124901

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024