Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sarasota in Sarasota County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Palmer Ranch

 
 
Palmer Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, December 5, 2012
1. Palmer Ranch Marker
Inscription.  After her visit to Sarasota in 1910, Mrs. Potter (Bertha) Palmer and family began buying thousands of acres in the region. One large segment extended from their Sarasota-Venice Company's Bee Ridge development south to Laurel. The present 10,000-acre Palmer Ranch includes a portion of that land. In the 1930s Palmer's son and daughter-in-law, Honore and Grace Palmer, began to develop a cattle ranch south of Clark Road. On it, they introduced purebred Santa Gertrudis stock to raise the quality of the herd of 1,000 to 1,500 head kept there. The prize-winning quality of their purebred stock was widely recognized.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & SettlersWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
 
Location. 27° 13.473′ N, 82° 28.178′ W. Marker is in Sarasota, Florida, in Sarasota County. Marker can be reached from Central Sarasota Parkway, 0.7 miles east of McIntosh Road, on the right when traveling east. Marker is located on the Sarasota-to-Venice Legacy Rail Trail, on the east side of the trail, 1/10 mile south
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of Central Sarasota Parkway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sarasota FL 34238, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Railroad History (approx. 1.7 miles away); Historic Spanish Point (approx. 2 miles away); Osprey School (approx. 2.1 miles away); South Creek Trestle / Oscar Scherer History (approx. 3˝ miles away); Oscar Scherer State Park (approx. 3.8 miles away); Bee Ridge Woman's Club (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Little White Church at Bee Ridge (approx. 4.1 miles away); The Edson Keith Estate (approx. 5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sarasota.
 
More about this marker. Marker is a large laser-printed metal plaque, mounted horizontally on a waist-high post.
 
Also see . . .
1. Sarasota Then and Now: A History of Palmer Ranch. Mrs. Palmer came to Sarasota from Chicago in 1910 as a recent widow. She'd seen an advertisement about the Sarasota Bay area in the newspaper, and after a visit, she became one of our first snowbirds. Known as the "Queen of Chicago," Bertha's marriage to multi-millionaire Potter Palmer left her with a hefty inheritance of $8 million. She used it to purchase over 80,000 acres of land in Sarasota, making her one of the largest property
Marker detail: Palmer Ranch image. Click for full size.
2. Marker detail: Palmer Ranch
owners in the city's history. Her social standing helped to put the community of 840 people on the map, and once she put down roots, Sarasota would never be the same. Bertha Palmer developed the area now known as Palmer Ranch into orange groves and livestock pastures, revolutionizing the Florida agriculture industry by being one of the first to "dip" her cattle to fight ticks. Her pioneering preventative measure became law by 1942 and helped to eradicate Florida's cattle tick problem. (Submitted on October 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. Palmer Ranch. Bertha Palmer, known as Mrs. Potter Palmer, came to Sarasota in 1910, and made a property on Little Sarasota Bay called Spanish Point her winter home. A progressive woman, she improved agricultural methods and added lavish gardens and buildings; today that land is the Historic Spanish Point garden and historic site. While the house The Oaks is gone, outbuildings and landscape remain, including remnants of designs by Achilles Duchene, after whom the Duchene Garden is named. Other former Palmer family holdings now open to the public include the Myakka River State Park and an expansion of Oscar Scherer State Park. (Submitted on October 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Palmer Ranch Marker (<i>wide view</i>) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, December 5, 2012
3. Palmer Ranch Marker (wide view)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 924 times since then and 167 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 15, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.   2, 3. submitted on October 16, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=125021

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 23, 2024