Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Richmond, Virginia Bicentennial
1737 - 1937
Erected 1937 by The Virginia Branch of the English Speaking Union.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1737.
Location. 37° 32.366′ N, 77° 25.962′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of Capitol Street and North 11th Street, on the left when traveling east on Capitol Street. Marker is a large metal plaque, mounted above eye-level, directly on the southeast corner of Richmond's Old City Hall building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1001 East Broad Street, Richmond VA 23219, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hunter Holmes McGuire, M.D. (within shouting distance of this marker); Virginia Civil Rights Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Old City HallThomas J. Jackson, General CSA (within shouting distance of this marker); Governor Edmund Randolph (within shouting distance of this marker); Loving v. Virginia (within shouting distance of this marker); John Tyler (within shouting distance of this marker); William Smith (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . .
1. Richmond bicentennial 1937. In September 1937, crowds lined East Grace Street downtown – and even looked down from rooftops – to enjoy the parade marking Richmond's bicentennial. Schools and offices closed early to allow Richmonders to attend; the parade route went from Capitol Square up Grace Street to Belvidere Street, then back down Broad Street to City Hall. (Submitted on October 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Richmonds of the World.
The second Richmond: Richmond is a town in south west London, England, 8.2 miles west-southwest of Charing Cross. Historically part of Surrey, it is now part of the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames. Henry VII named Richmond after his favourite Earldom, Richmond in Yorkshire.
The Third Richmond: Captain Christopher Newport first led English explorers in 1607 to the site (later named Richmond by William Byrd II in 1737 after the suburb of London, England.) Until this time, Indian tribes of the Powhatan Confederacy had inhabited the area. After two unsuccessful attempts to settle this naturally advantaged location for transportation and trade, settlers enjoyed a change of luck. By 1644, the construction of Fort Charles began attracting many new settlers. Soon, the community grew into a popular trading post for furs, hides and tobacco. (Submitted on October 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.