Near Tidioute in Warren County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Hearts Content Recreation Area
A Tiny Piece of the Past
A tiny piece of the past
When the first European settlers came to this area of Pennsylvania, they encountered dense stands of huge timber. They cleared areas in these forests for their farms and used trees for building their homes. During the 1800's, these large trees provided other products people needed. Hemlock was logged to provide bark for tanneries and wood for construction, while hardwoods provided cabinet wood for furniture. Vast stands of white pine, with some trees over 150 feet in height, were cut and floated on giant rafts down large rivers to be made into masts for Clipper ships.
By the 1830’s, Warren County had become a great lumber center, with over 100 sawmills. One firm which logged in this region, the Wheeler and Dusenbury Lumber Company, owned a parcel of land with a stand of huge timber. Here they built a logging camp and called it Hearts Content after a nearby homestead of the same name. A small remnant of that forest was never logged and was passed on within the family to be appreciated by future generations.
In 1922, the descendants of William F. Wheeler and Henry Dusenbury donated
Come to the old growth forest
Although forests have covered this area for thousands of years, most have changed during the last two centuries. In most eastern forests the huge old trees are missing, having been cut down to provide building materials for an expanding nation. Now there are just a few old growth forests, sometimes called virgin forests, where timber has never been cut.
Here in the Hearts Content Scenic Area you can follow a path into an old growth forest of towering hemlock and white pine. Look for gnarly, old beech snags amidst a carpet of ferns. Feel the cool dark forest. It is a rare place and a reminder of how many forests used to look. As you hike this easy trail, read the interpretive signs to learn how the forest is changing, due to a unique relationship between people, deer and the old trees. You may check out an audio tape about the forest from the Hearts Content Campground host, or at any Allegheny National Forest office.
This is your forest and the trees in it are special. You can help care for them by not damaging the bark, which protects the living
Erected by Forest Service, United States Department of Agriculture.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Industry & Commerce • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 41° 41.536′ N, 79° 15.159′ W. Marker is near Tidioute, Pennsylvania, in Warren County. Marker can be reached from Hearts Content Road (Pennsylvania Route 2002) 4 miles south of Pleasant Drive (Pennsylvania Route 3005), on the left when traveling south. Marker is located on the east side of the parking lot at the Hearts Content Scenic Area Interpretive Trailhead. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tidioute PA 16351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Paint Hill (approx. 5.1 miles away); Thompson's Island (approx. 6˝ miles away); Grettenberger Pump (approx. 8.2 miles away); The First Flowing Oil Well (approx. 8.4 miles away); The Grandin Well (approx. 8˝ miles away); Buckaloons (approx. 9.9 miles away); General William Irvine (approx. 10.2 miles away); The Mead Island Tradition (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tidioute.
More about this marker. This is a large "kiosk-style" marker with three panels: (1) historic information, (2) natural and wilderness information, and (3) an area trail map.
Regarding Hearts Content Recreation Area.
Also see . . . Wheeler and Dusenbury Lumber Company. Between 1887 and 1938, railroads built and owned by the Wheeler & Dusenbury Co., Endeavor, Pennsylvania, formed one of the largest logging rail networks in Northwest Pennsylvania. A logging railroad network sprawled over Warren County and Forest County fed two large band mills at Endeavor, Pennsylvania. W&D's policies of widespread selective tract cutting resulted in the logging railroads being active until the 1930s, supplying the Mayburg Chemical Company with chemical wood on second-growth tracts, and contributing to the survival of the Sheffield & Tionesta Railroad until World War II. W&D's legacy can also be seen at Hearts Content National Scenic Area, where a tract of virgin timber was saved and is a public recreation area today. Even in 1906, W&D was known for saving virgin tracts of timber. (Submitted on October 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 240 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 19, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.