Ticonderoga in Essex County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Tower Avenue Grindstones
Erected 1978 by International Paper Company.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 43° 50.956′ N, 73° 25.286′ W. Marker is in Ticonderoga, New York, in Essex County. Marker is at the intersection of Tower Avenue and Mccormick Street, on the right when traveling north on Tower Avenue. Marker and subject grindstones are located beside the sidewalk, on the east side of Tower Avenue, just north of the Ticonderoga Heritage Museum and Visitor Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 137 Montcalm Street, Ticonderoga NY 12883, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rivière de La Chute (within shouting distance of this marker); Grand Carry Landing Hon. Clayton Harris DeLano (about 400 feet away); Sharing the Flow (about 500 feet away); 1756 French Saw Mill on La Chute River (about 500 feet away); The Power of Water (about 700 feet away); A Way to the World (approx. 0.2 miles away); Men of Ticonderoga (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ticonderoga.
More about this marker. This is a painted wooden marker, mounted at eye-level on a wooden post.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. La Chute Riverwalk, Ticonderoga Bicentennial Park
Also see . . . The La Chute River Walk. This River Walk Trail celebrates the extraordinary variety of industries that clustered around the waterfalls and rapids that punctuate the river’s course through town. Beginning at the Ticonderoga Heritage Museum, located in the office built by Ticonderoga Pulp and Paper Company in 1888, the trail loops around Bicentennial Park, a vast expanse of waterfront greenery reclaimed from the sprawling paper mill and its wood yard. The Trail continues past pulp mill grindstones, the historic Frazier Bridge (1879; restored 2008) and a whirlpool, where the river takes a sharp bend, to the Richards dam, where water still flows through a former pulp mill flume gate. (Submitted on October 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 75 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 20, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.