Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Battery B, 1st Ohio Light Artillery
— Palmer's Division —
4 James, 2 6 PDRS.
Cruft’s Brigade, Palmer’s Division, Crittenden’s Corps.
September 19, 1863.
1st Lieut. Norman A. Baldwin, Commanding.
2d Lieut. James H. Hill.
2d Lieut. David H. Troup.
The battery, with Cruft’s brigade, left position north of Lee and Gordon’s Mill at 11 o’clock A.M., moved on the Rossville Road to the Poe Field, where a line of battle was formed, the battery in the rear of center. The brigade moved to the front about noon, half the battery coming into position on this ground, and opened on the enemy with canister over the heads of the troops.
The other half battery took positioned on the ridge 400 yards to the rear throwing shell at the front and flanks. During the action, the half battery to the rear was advanced to the left flank of the line and rendered excellent service by a left oblique fire on that position of the enemy's line attacking Gen. Hazen. The battery assisted the brigade in repulsing several attacks of the enemy and held the ground till 5 o’clock P.M., when they were ordered to
159 rounds; had 3 men wounded and 2 horses shot.
Erected 1890 by War Department. (Marker Number MT-916.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 19, 1863.
Location. 34° 55.05′ N, 85° 15.129′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker can be reached from Brotherton Road near LaFayette Road, on the right when traveling east. This marker is located in the national park that preserves the site of the Chickamauga Battlefield, a moderate distance off one of the park's secondary east to west roadways, just south the Brock Field and into the woods, along one of the park's many walking trails. The marker is located in the woods at the south west corner of Brock’s Field. A path leads from the blue plaque for Turchin's Brigade (USA) to the marker. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battery B, 1st Ohio Light Artillery Marker (here, next to this marker); 29th Tennessee Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 31st Indiana Infantry Regiment (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 11th Tennessee Infantry Regiment (about 16th Tennessee Infantry Regiment (about 400 feet away); 4th & 5th Tennessee Infantry (about 400 feet away); Strahl's Brigade (about 500 feet away); 90th Ohio Infantry Regiment (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. The plaques on the Chickamauga Battlefield were installed by the War Department in 1890. This plaque is blue indicating it is for a Federal unit.
In locating this marker I used the "Chickamauga Battlefield" map, that I purchased at the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Visitor Center, to determine both the marker number for this marker and the marker's location in relation to the rest of the park's monuments, markers, and tablets. According to the map it provides the, "numerical listing of all monuments, markers, and tablets on the Chickamauga Battlefield (using the Chick-Chatt NMP Monument Numbering System).”
Also see . . .
1. Death Knell of the Confederacy. Link to the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park web page. (Submitted on October 21, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. Battle of Chickamauga. Overview of the battle provided by the American Battlefield Trust. (Submitted on October 21, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 21, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.