Canal Winchester in Franklin County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Canal Winchester and the Ohio and Erie Canal
You are standing on the site of Ohio and Erie Canal. The canal helped to open the interior of Ohio to trade and settlement and played a part in Winchester's prosperity during the mid-1800s. Local farmers exported grain from the village via the canal while local merchants imported such items as coffee, dishes, and tools for sale. Winchester was later named Canal Winchester to distinguish it from other "Winchesters" and to honor the role the canal played in its development.
(Continued on side two)
(Continued from side one)
Construction of the Ohio and Erie began in 1825 and the first canal boat sailed through Winchester in 1831. The entire 308-mile length of the waterway, from Cleveland to Portsmouth, opened in 1832. The advent of the railroad in Ohio in the 1850s heralded the end the canal era. The last canal boats passed through Winchester in 1901. After many years of decline, the Ohio and Erie Canal was abandoned in 1913.
Erected 1999 by Village of Canal Winchester and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 26-25.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Ohio and Erie Canal, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists.
Location. 39° 50.529′ N, 82° 48.346′ W. Marker is in Canal Winchester, Ohio, in Franklin County. Marker is on High Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 19 South High Street, Canal Winchester OH 43110, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Stradley Place (here, next to this marker); The Interurban Depot (within shouting distance of this marker); Faith United Methodist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ohio's Oldest Active School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Canal Winchester (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prentiss School No. 8 (approx. ¼ mile away); Pvt. Alfred Cannon (approx. ¼ mile away); Bergstresser/Dietz Covered Bridge (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Canal Winchester.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,226 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.