West Jefferson in Madison County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
New Hampton Cemetery
Here lie the remains of the families who first settled this wilderness, including the remains of Rev. Isaac Jones, founder of the village of Jefferson. Rev. Jones also founded the Baptist Church in 1820, and was an associate judge, Court of Common Pleas, for Madison County. He died at the age of 40 yrs. on Sept. 22, 1842. On Sept. 13, 1830, he had the plat of the village of Jefferson recorded, shortly thereafter the village of New Hampton ceased to exist, as people and buildings were moved to the new town.
Erected during the Bicentennial year, A.D. 1976, by interested citizens, organizations, and township trustees.
Erected 1976 by interested citizens, organizations, and township trustees.
Location. 39° 56.418′ N, 83° 16.167′ W. Marker is in West Jefferson, Ohio Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Jefferson OH 43162, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. New Hampton and Ludlow's Road (here, next to this marker); West Jefferson (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Glaciers Did It (approx. 3.3 miles away); Stories in the Sediments (approx. 3.3 miles away); Back to the Same Old Grind (approx. 3.3 miles away); Jonathan Alder (approx. 3.8 miles away); A Valley Is Born (approx. 4.1 miles away); Big Darby Creek (approx. 4.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Jefferson.
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for New Hampton Cemetery.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 872 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 15, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.