Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Burley in Cassia County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

Starrh's Ferry

 
 
Starrh's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, May 15, 2018
1. Starrh's Ferry Marker
Inscription.  In the summer of 1880 George Starrh, a placer miner, established a ferry 4 miles west of the present city of Burley. Rich mineral mines had been discovered in the Wood River country and freight was hauled between the mines and Kelton, Utah, (the nearest railroad). The wagons were taken across the Snake River on this ferry which was operated by cable and horse power. Later Thomas Starrh bought the ferry from his brother and operated it until 1905 when the railroad came to Buhl, Idaho.
 
Erected 1941 by Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Mary Salome Camp. (Marker Number 75.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of Utah Pioneers series list.
 
Location. 42° 31.974′ N, 113° 51.042′ W. Marker is in Burley, Idaho, in Cassia County. Marker is on U.S. 30 at milepost 253 near South 300 West, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 295 US Highway 30, Burley ID 83318, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
3 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Starrh's Ferry (approx. 4.3 miles away); Camp Rupert (approx. 5.3 miles away); Milner Dam (approx. 5.8 miles away).
 
Starrh's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, May 15, 2018
2. Starrh's Ferry Marker
Starrh's Ferry across the Snake River was located one mile north of this monument which was relocated on June 1, 1995, by the Cassia County Company, Daughters of Utah Pioneers.
Starrh's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, May 15, 2018
3. Starrh's Ferry Marker
Starrh's Ferry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, May 15, 2018
4. Starrh's Ferry Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 25, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 296 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 25, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=125404

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024