St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
A Man Named Wesley Passed This Way / Lovely Lane Chapel
On October 21, 1735, John and Charles Wesley and General James Oglethorpe (founder of the colony of Georgia) and eighty-four other passengers sailed from England on the ship "The Simmonds". After a hundred and fourteen days they sailed into the Savannah River (February 14, 1736). In March of 1736, Charles Wesley accompanied General Oglethorpe to Fort Frederica; soon after John Wesley joined his brother Charles, Benjamin Ingham and Charles DeLamotte, two other members of the "Holy Club", also lived and labored on this island. No other place in America has been the scene of the labors of so many who by heroic endeavor created the Methodist Church which today numbers many millions.
Here we have built a memorial
Lovely Lane Chapel
Built by Norman W. Dodge in 1880 and named St. James Union Church, the chapel is now the oldest church building on St. Simons Island. Repaired following a hurricane in 1897, deconsecrated in 1911 and used as a recreation center, the chapel was reconsecrated after the Methodists purchased the property in 1949. Restored under the leadership of Bishop Arthur
Providing an atmosphere of the nearness of God
Erected by South Georgia Conference of the Methodist Church.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era.
Location. 31° 10.305′ N, 81° 24.381′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. Marker is on Arthur J. Moore Drive 0.2 miles north of Hamilton Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Arthur J Moore Drive, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Mission By The Sea / Susannah Wesley (within shouting distance of this marker); Epworth By The Sea / Epworth Pioneers (within shouting distance of this marker); Epworth-By-The-Sea (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lovely Lane Chapel (about 300 feet away); Cassina Garden Club Houses (about 400 feet away); Gascoigne Bluff Hamilton Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain Gascoigne (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,568 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.