St. Simons Island in Glynn County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Lovely Lane Chapel
Constructed in 1880 by Norman Dodge, repaired in 1897 after a hurricane damaged it, the Chapel was designed by architect G.W. Laine of Atlanta. It was originally known as Union Church and later connsecrated [sic] as St. James Episcopal. In 1911 the church , no longer used for services, was de-consecrated, moved to its present location and used as a recreational center.
In 1949, the Methodists reconsecrated the chapel, naming it Lovely Lane after the site of the 1784 founding conference of American Methodism in Baltimore. At this time, the center alter window and two entrance windows were returned to the Methodists by Christ Church at whose rectory they had been stored. In 1953 Bishop Arthur J. Moore and the Cabinet gave the stained glass Founders Windows of John and Charles Wesley and Francis Asbury to the chapel.
Since 1949, the chapel has been used continually for worship, weddings, baptisms and meditation.
" Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations"
Has been given the name of ...
Erected by Lane Chapel.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Places. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
Location. 31° 10.32′ N, 81° 24.321′ W. Marker is in St. Simons Island, Georgia, in Glynn County. North of Hamilton Road,approx. 0.2 miles away, at Epworth-By-The-Sea. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Arthur J Moore Dr, Saint Simons Island GA 31522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A Man Named Wesley Passed This Way / Lovely Lane Chapel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Epworth-By-The-Sea (about 400 feet away); A Mission By The Sea / Susannah Wesley (about 400 feet away); Epworth By The Sea / Epworth Pioneers (about 400 feet away); Cassina Garden Club Houses (about 700 feet away); Gascoigne Bluff (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hamilton Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away); Captain Gascoigne (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Simons Island.
Also see . . . From Wikipedia,The Christmas Conference. was an historic founding conference of the newly independent Methodists within the United States held just after the American Revolution at Lovely Lane Chapel in Baltimore, Maryland in 1784. (Submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,106 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 16, 2008, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.