Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Boise in Ada County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

Davis Orchard

 
 
Davis Orchard Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, May 17, 2018
1. Davis Orchard Marker
Captions: (middle left) Deer Reserve, Julia Davis Park, Boise, Idaho; (center) Orchard workers circa 1883; (middle right) Thomas Davis and Julia McCrum Davis.
Inscription.  Julia Davis Park was donated to the City of Bosie by the area's first homesteader, Thomas Jefferson Davis. He arrived in Boise in the spring of 1863, and his claim was the first to be filed in Idaho Territory. The claim was for 320 acres, most of which is located in what is now downtown Boise. In later years, Davis came to own more than 1,000 acres, including the areas that are now Boise State University and Garden City.

In 1864, Davis planted 7,000 fruit trees on his land. The claim became known as The Davis Orchard. Thomas Davis married Julia McCrum in 1871. After her death in 1907, Davis donated forty acres of the Davis Orchard to the City for a public park. This memorial to his wife was Boise's first free park. Davis died the following year.

In 1910 the City began making improvements on the land by planting trees and filling land. By 1912 the park was commissioned as the Julia Davis Park, and no further improvements were made until 1912 (sic). That year a bandshell was added and pieces of the land cleaned up. In 1931, some of the land was lost to the extension of 7th Street through the park to form Capitol Boulevard.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online

The last and most familiar improvements were made in the mid to late 1930's. The circular drive, the lagoon, and the Rose Garden were all added as part of the depression relief work by the Works Projects Administration.

1863: Thomas Jefferson Davis arrived in Boise as the first homesteader in area
1864: Davis planted 7,000 fruit trees
1871: Davis married Julia McCrum
1907: Julia died, Davis donated 40 acres to the city as a memorial park
1908: Tom Davis died following a brief illness
1910: Boise's improvements, tree-planting and land filling begun
1912: Julia Davis park was commissioned
1915: Boise Zoo established
1928: The mission-style bandshell was added, the Davis estate added 47 more acres to the park
1931: Some acreage was lost due to the extension of 7th Street through the park to Capitol Blvd.
Mid-Late 1930's: The circular drive, lagoon, and Rose Garden were added as WPA Project
 
Erected by Boise Parks & Recreation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureParks & Recreational Areas.
 
Location. 43° 36.39′ N, 116° 12.258′ W. Marker is in Boise,
Davis Orchard Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, May 17, 2018
2. Davis Orchard Marker
Idaho, in Ada County. Marker is on Julia Davis Road, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Boise ID 83702, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Story of Julia & Tom Davis (approx. 0.2 miles away); Abraham Lincoln (approx. 0.2 miles away); McClelland Ferry (approx. ¼ mile away); Wilson Price Hunt Expedition (approx. ¼ mile away); The Log Cabin (approx. ¼ mile away); The WPA (Works Project Administration) (approx. ¼ mile away); Sacajawea and Pomp (approx. 0.3 miles away); Reinhold Chrystman (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Boise.
 
More about this marker. All road within Julia Davis Park are named Julia Davis Drive; some being one-way. This marker is located near the traffic circle on the south side of the park.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 3, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 367 times since then and 105 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 3, 2018, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=125827

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024