Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Falls Church, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Turnpike Tollgate

 
 
Turnpike Tollgate Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Carl Clifford, March 26, 2009
1. Turnpike Tollgate Marker
Inscription.  (Text on Front of Marker): Alexandria-Leesburg Pike, chartered in 1813, was completed after 1838. An 1862 map shows a house and tollgate on four acres bought by John Williams in 1857 (Part of 1837 24.5-acre Kidwell grant). An older tollhouse is suspected but tolls may have been collected at Joseph Birch's smithy across the turnpike. Gate was just west of private wagon road (Cherry St.) used by some to evade toll. Pike was important route to move agricultural products & goods but role diminished after the 1859 arrival of the railroad. Turnpike bought by Fairfax County for $300 in 1872; Tollhouse sold in 1879.
 
Erected by City of Falls Church.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, City of Falls Church series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1813.
 
Location. 38° 52.757′ N, 77° 9.981′ W. Marker is in Falls Church, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Broad Street (State Highway 7) and Cherry Street, on the right when traveling east
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
on East Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Falls Church VA 22046, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Birch House (within shouting distance of this marker); Jefferson Institute (within shouting distance of this marker); Wren’s Tavern (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Falls Church High School (FCHS) Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dulin Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home Hill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Falls Church.
 
More about this marker. On the back of the marker is a drawing of wagons passing through the tollgate.
 
Turnpike Tollgate Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Carl Clifford, March 26, 2009
2. Turnpike Tollgate Marker
Tollgate Marker Just East of Cherry Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 12, 2007
3. Tollgate Marker Just East of Cherry Street
The historic gate itself probably stood near Cherry Street. This gate paired with another in Loudoun County where the pike crossed Broad Run, near the present day intersection of the Leesburg Pike and Sully Road (Va. 7 and 28). The modern day equivalent is the Dulles Greenway Toll Road connecting the same endpoints, but taking a less direct southernly route.
Turnpike Tollgate image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, December 6, 2009
4. Turnpike Tollgate
Close-up of image on marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2018. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,095 times since then and 36 times this year. Last updated on November 4, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2009, by Carl Clifford of Arlington, Virginia.   3. submitted on October 9, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on September 28, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=125848

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024