Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Warrenton in Fauquier County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Brentmoor: The Spilman-Mosby House

 
 
Brentmoor: The Spilman-Mosby House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 15, 2007
1. Brentmoor: The Spilman-Mosby House Marker
Inscription.  This classic Italian Villa-style house was completed in 1861 for Fauquier County Judge Edward M. Spilman. James Keith, who later served as president of the Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals (1895-1916), acquired it in 1869. John Singleton Mosby purchased the dwelling in 1875. Mosby, a Confederate colonel, commanded the Partisan Rangers (43rd Battalion, Virginia Cavalry), which raided Union outposts, communications, and supply lines in Northern Virginia from 1863 to 1865. Eppa Hunton, a Confederate brigadier general, lawyer, and member of the U.S. Congress (House 1873-1881 and Senate 1892-1895), bought the house in 1877 and owned it until 1902
 
Erected 2006 by (Virginia) Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number C-92.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureSettlements & SettlersWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1861.
 
Location. 38° 42.698′ N, 77° 47.46′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Warrenton, Virginia, in Fauquier County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Business U.S. 15) and Calhoun Street, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 173 Main Street, Warrenton VA 20188, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brentmoor (within shouting distance of this marker); The Railroad Caboose (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Turntable (approx. ¼ mile away); The Fauquier Times-Democrat (approx. ¼ mile away); Hot Lead Line-O-Type (approx. ¼ mile away); John Marshall (approx. ¼ mile away); Norris Tavern / The Warren Green (approx. ¼ mile away); Warrenton (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Warrenton.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Mosby Museum. (Submitted on June 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. NPS Entry on Brentmoor. (Submitted on June 26, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
 
Brentmoor from Main Street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 15, 2007
2. Brentmoor from Main Street
The home is known locally as "The Mosby House" in reference to the famous one time owner.
Brentmoor from the Calhoun Street Side image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, June 15, 2007
3. Brentmoor from the Calhoun Street Side
A museum highlighting the life of John S. Mosby is planned.
Brentmoor image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bradley Owen, October 16, 2016
4. Brentmoor
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,554 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   4. submitted on February 10, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=1262

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024