Richmond in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Constantine W. Buckley
Texas Confederate Legislator
(1815 - 1865)
Came to Texas from Georgia, 1838. Clerk, Republic of Texas State Department. Prominent Fort Bend County planter, lawyer, district judge and legislator.
Served as one of the speakers of Texas House of Representatives in critical Civil War years, 1861-65. Legislators passed laws to raise, equip and supply 90,000 Texas soldiers who fought on all fronts and provided for defense of State's 2,000-mile frontier and coast against Indians, enemy troops and ships.
As naval blockade reduced imports, the Legislature established plants to make guns, powder, cloth, salt. Contracts, subsidies and land grants were provided to encourage private industry to help meet heavy wartime demands for arms, supplies, clothing, food.
Buckley and the other lawmakers taxed property and business and required farmers to turn in tithes of produce to meet the crisis. Funds were voted to buy cotton for State exchange for goods in Mexico; to aid soldiers' dependents; and to provide hospitals and medical care for troops--in and out of state.
The Legislature was in almost continuous session. Poor pay and inflated Confederate money
Erected 1965 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8981.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • War, US Civil.
Location. 29° 34.914′ N, 95° 45.689′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is at the intersection of Jackson Street (Alternate U.S. 90) and South 4th Street, on the right when traveling east on Jackson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Jackson Street, Richmond TX 77469, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mirabeau Buonaparte Lamar (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Bend County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); St. John's United Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The McFarlane House (within shouting distance of this marker); Early Courthouse Square (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Moore Home (about 500 feet away); Jane Long Boarding House (about 500 feet away); Morton Lodge No. 72, A. F. & A. M. (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Richmond.
Also see . . . Buckley, Constantine W. - The Handbook of Texas Online . Texas State Historical Association (TSHA) (Submitted on November 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 220 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 2. submitted on January 29, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.