Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Oglethorpe in Catoosa County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Culpeper’s South Carolina Battery

McNair’s Brigade, Johnson’s Division, Hood’s Corps

 
 
Culpeper’s South Carolina Battery Tablet image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Byron Hooks, June 24, 2011
1. Culpeper’s South Carolina Battery Tablet
Inscription.  
Culpeper’s South Carolina Battery.
1 Napoleon, 2 12 PDR. Howitzers.
McNair’s Brigade, Johnson’s Division, Hood’s Corps.
September 19, 1863.

Capt. James F. Culpeper, commanding.
1st Lieut. J. L. S. Dove.
1st Lieut. J. L. Moses.
2d Lieut. Henry J. Ham.
2d Lieut. Perry Moses.


The battery and brigade formed about 8 A.M. in rear of Gregg’s brigade as the reserve of the division and remained in that position till near 2 P.M., when the enemy advanced against the division. The battery by order of General Johnson came into position on this ground, on the left of Greg’s brigade, opened fire on the enemy in the direction of Viniard’s, and continued to fire till to the enemy’s charge was repulsed. When the brigade was ordered to advance about 3 P.M., the battery followed closely, coming into action on the high ground north west of this position near the Chattanooga road, where it continued to fire till the brigade was ordered to retire in form a new line.
 
Erected 1890 by War Department. (Marker Number MT-1343.)
 
Topics.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational AreasWar, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 19, 1863.
 
Location. 34° 54.198′ N, 85° 15.097′ W. Marker is in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Catoosa County. Marker can be reached from Viniard Road, half a mile east of LaFayette Road, on the left when traveling east. Parking is available in a gravel lot on the south side of Viniard Road (N 34 54.091 W 85 15.105). The maker is along a path that crosses Viniard Road east of the parking area near the 7th Indiana Mounted Infantry marker (MT-784). Follow the path north (left when headed east) to the marker. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hood's Division (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); 72nd Indiana Mounted Infantry (about 400 feet away); McNair's Brigade (about 500 feet away); 17th Indiana Mounted Infantry (about 600 feet away); Wilder's Brigade (about 600 feet away); 18th Indiana Battery (about 600 feet away); Buckner's Corps (about 700 feet away); Gregg's Brigade (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
 
More about this marker. In locating
Culpeper’s South Carolina Battery Tablet image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Byron Hooks, June 24, 2011
2. Culpeper’s South Carolina Battery Tablet
this marker I used the "Chickamauga Battlefield" map, that I purchased at the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, Visitor Center, to determine both the marker number for this marker and the marker's location in relation to the rest of the park's monuments, markers, and tablets. According to the map it provides the, "numerical listing of all monuments, markers, and tablets on the Chickamauga Battlefield (using the Chick-Chatt NMP Monument Numbering System).”
 
Also see . . .
1. Death Knell of the Confederacy. Link to the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park web site. (Submitted on November 19, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 

2. Battle of Chickamauga. Overview of the Battle of Chickamauga provided by the American Battlefield Trust. (Submitted on November 19, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 146 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 19, 2018, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=126530

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 16, 2024