Freeport in Nassau County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Col. James Dean
1845-1918. Civil War veteran.
President of Freeport &
Freeport Club. Antique
Former home on this site.
Erected by William G. Pomeroy Foundation. (Marker Number 331.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the William G. Pomeroy Foundation series list.
Location. 40° 38.874′ N, 73° 35.106′ W. Marker is in Freeport, New York, in Nassau County. Marker is at the intersection of South Ocean Avenue and Archer Street on South Ocean Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 228 South Ocean Avenue, Freeport NY 11520, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Crystal Lake Hotel (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Archer St. School (about 600 feet away); World War I Trench Mortar (approx. 0.2 miles away); Freeport Memorial Library War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Freeport Post Office (approx. 0.4 miles Freeport Memorial Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bayview Hose #3 (approx. half a mile away); Freeport Historical Museum (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Freeport.
Also see . . . July 19, 1918: 100 years ago in Freeport... (LI Herald, 7/19/2018). "The Post reported that former Freeport president James Dean passed away at his home on 228 South Bayview Ave. He had been battling arterial illness for about a year prior to his death. In addition to being the president of the village, Dean also was a member of the U.S. Grant Post of the Grand Army of the Republic. He also served as the treasurer of the South Shore Yacht Club and was president of the Freeport Club. Prior to moving to his home of South Bayview Ave., he owned a large home on South Ocean Avenue (presently marked by an historical marker donated by the Pomeroy Foundation). Dean was called by the honorarium “Colonel”, and owned a collection of over 1,500 firearms and other implements of warfare." (Submitted on November 26, 2018.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 166 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 26, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.