Culpeper in Culpeper County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
A.P. Hill's Boyhood Home
Hill entered the Confederate Army as a colonel but in May 1862, at age 36, he became the army's youngest Major General. His hard fighting "Light Division" won distinction during the Seven Days Battle. On August 9, 1862, at the Battle of Cedar Mountain in Culpeper, Hill rapidly moved his men forward to re-form "Stonewall" Jackson's crumbling line. Hill's troops then led the charge that clinched a Confederate victory. Again at Sharpsburg, Hill rushed his men from Harper's Ferry to the raging battle along Antietam Creek and saved the Army of Northern Virginia from certain disaster. Thus the slogan "Up came Hill" spread through the South.
Following Chancellorsville, Hill was given command of the newly created Third Corps. A.P. Hill was killed on April 2, 1865, as Petersburg fell. Robert
On the building's second floor, there is a more comprehensive history of the building. Visitors are welcome to view it during regular business hours.
Erected by Town of Culpeper.
Location. 38° 28.406′ N, 77° 59.776′ W. Marker is in Culpeper, Virginia, in Culpeper County. Marker is at the intersection of West Davis Street and North Main Street (Business U.S. 15 / 29), on the right when traveling west on West Davis Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Culpeper VA 22701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Gallant Pelham (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); “Gallant” Pelham’s Last Days (about 400 feet away); Eppa Rixey Boyhood Home (about 500 feet away); William "Extra Billy" Smith (about 500 feet away); Historic Antioch Baptist Church (about 600 feet away); A Tribute to Black Americans – Early 1900’s (approx. 0.2 miles away); Culpeper Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Culpeper Court House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Culpeper.
More about this marker. The marker has a portrait of General Hill in the upper center. In the lower right This photograph was taken in the late summer, 1862, when the Union Army occupied Culpeper. The wartime courthouse (which was torn down in 1871) is visible on the opposite corner. The Hill Family purchased the house in 1832. The house had been remodeled at least twice in the 19th century, the last being the Italian Villa style common in the Tuscan region of Italy.
Also see . . .
1. A.P. Hill's Boyhood Home (Submitted on October 19, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. A.P. Hill's Boyhood Home. National Register documentation for the building. (Submitted on October 19, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for A.P. Hill's Boyhood Home.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 19, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,426 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 19, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.