Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Havre de Grace in Harford County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Havre de Grace Racetrack

 
 
Havre de Grace Racetrack Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Pfingsten, June 24, 2007
1. Havre de Grace Racetrack Marker
Inscription.  In operation from 1912 to 1950 and nicknamed “The Graw.” The Harford Agricultural and Breeders Association racetrack was one of four one-mile thoroughbred racecouses in Maryland and reflected Harford County’s status as a breeding center for thoroughbreds. Man O’ War won the Potomac Handicap here in 1920, setting a track record. En route to the Triple Crown in 1948, Citation lost his only race that year, to a local horse, Saggy. The clubhouse and grandstand remain.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Trust, Maryland State Highway Administration.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureAnimalsSports. In addition, it is included in the Maryland Historical Trust series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
 
Location. 39° 32.214′ N, 76° 6.732′ W. Marker is in Havre de Grace, Maryland, in Harford County. Marker is at the intersection of Post Road (Maryland Route 7) and Old Bay Lane, on the right when traveling east on Post Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Havre de Grace MD 21078, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Count Rochambeau’s Troops (approx. 0.7 miles away); Home of Refuge (approx. 0.7 miles away); Havre de Grace Colored High School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Dedicated in Honor (approx. 1.2 miles away); Ernest Burke (approx. 1.2 miles away); Votes for Women (approx. 1.2 miles away); Havre de Grace War Memorial (approx. 1.2 miles away); Capt. Anthony J. Synodinos & 1st Lt. Edward G. Conrad, (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Havre de Grace.
 
Regarding Havre de Grace Racetrack. Grandstand has been converted into offices for the Maryland National Guard.
 
Also see . . .  History challenge:. Memories of Havre de Grace Racetrack live on, The Daily Racing Form, 09/20/2012. (Submitted on October 5, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Additional commentary.
1. Inside the armory
I recently visited Harve de Grace and went out to the site of the old racetrack. Unfortunately, it was a weekend and no one was at the armory. I have been told there are some magnificent wooden floors inside the former clubhouse. Has anybody been inside the buildings and/or have any photos that showcase what the place must have been like in its
Havre de Grace Racetrack Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Adam Margolis
2. Havre de Grace Racetrack Marker
heyday?
In addition to the grandstand and clubhouse, there is an old building to the right of the clubhouse that appears as if it might have been an indoor paddock for the saddling of horses. Does anyone know what this building was used for years ago?
    — Submitted August 13, 2007, by Joe DeVivo of Easton, Pennsylvania.
 
Clubhouse of Havre de Grace. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, July 1, 2007
3. Clubhouse of Havre de Grace.
Building is now used as a National Guard Headquarters.
Havre de Grace Racetrack Grandstand and Club House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Beverly Pfingsten, July 1, 2007
4. Havre de Grace Racetrack Grandstand and Club House
Grandstand has been enclosed and the seating area is now the roof of a storage building.
Elaborate Front Door image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, October 4, 2013
5. Elaborate Front Door
Havre de Grace Racetrack Club House
Havre de Grace National Guard Armory
Havre de Grace Racetrack Club House<br> Havre de Grace National Guard Armory image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, October 4, 2013
6. Havre de Grace Racetrack Club House
Havre de Grace National Guard Armory
South East Corner
Inside the Clubhouse/Armory image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, October 4, 2013
7. Inside the Clubhouse/Armory
Inside the Clubhouse/Armory image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, October 4, 2013
8. Inside the Clubhouse/Armory
Grandstand image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, October 4, 2013
9. Grandstand
The lower grandstand has been roofed over.
Ionic Capital image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, October 4, 2013
10. Ionic Capital
on one of the columns on the Clubhouse/Armory building.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 20, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 7,534 times since then and 329 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on June 24, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   2. submitted on January 15, 2022, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California.   3, 4. submitted on July 1, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.   5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on October 5, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=1269

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 21, 2024