Near Fort Oglethorpe in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
8th Indiana Battery
— Wood's Division —
4 6-pdrs., 2 12-pdr. howitzers.
Buell's Brigade, Wood's Division, Crittenden's Corps.
Sept. 20. 1863.
Captain George Estep, Commanding
1st Lieut. Jeremiah Voris.
1st Lieut. Samuel Winsor.
2nd Lieut. William Stokes.
2nd Lieut. Charles B. Eldred.
Erected 1890 by Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park Commission. (Marker Number MT-744.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 20, 1863.
Location. 34° 55.347′ N, 85° 16.154′ W. Marker is near Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker is on Glenn-Kelly Road, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located on the northwest corner of Dyer Field and is best reached from the hiking trail that runs south off Snodgrass Hill. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named 8th Indiana Battery (here, next to this marker); 26th Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 3rd Wisconsin Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named 3rd Wisconsin Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); Battery B, 26th Pennsylvania (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Battery B, 26th Pennsylvania (about 300 feet away); 7th Indiana Battery7th Indiana Battery (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2018, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 74 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 29, 2018, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5, 6. submitted on August 15, 2019, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.