St. Augustine in St. Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
1872 South Privy
St. Augustine Lighthouse
The smaller brick square just to the east of the larger brick square housed a ceramic pipe that was installed as part of the toilet. The arch at the back of the privy was used as a cleanout gate, one of the many tasks of the keepers and their families.
In this picture, the privy is visible in the far corner of the courtyard between the lighthouse and the oil building.
Visit our Keepers’ House to learn more about the house and the daily lives of the keepers and their families.
Erected by St. Augustine Lighthouse Maritime Museum.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Lighthouses series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
Location. 29° 53.119′ N, 81° 17.315′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 81 Lighthouse Avenue, Saint Augustine FL 32080, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1872 North Privy (a few steps from this marker); 1886 Well (within shouting distance of this marker); 1888 Outdoor Kitchens (within shouting distance of this marker); Lighthouse and Keepers House (within shouting distance of this marker); World War II (within shouting distance of this marker); Sentinels of the Coast (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Augustine on Anastasia Island (about 700 feet away); Old Watchtower and Lighthouse (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in St. Augustine.
More about this marker. Marker is a large composite plaque mounted in a tall, wooden "billboard-style" frame.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. St. Augustine Lighthouse & Keepers' House
Also see . . . St. Augustine Lighthouse History. The Lighthouse is St. Augustine's oldest surviving brick structure, and today the site is restored to colors and materials used the year 1888. In 1876, a brick light keeper's house was added to the property, a triplex that held two families and a young, single, 2nd assistant (Submitted on November 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 276 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.