Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Wilsonville in Clackamas County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Site of the Train Depot

 
 
Site of the Train Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 5, 2018
1. Site of the Train Depot Marker
Inscription.  The Oregon Electric Railway was completed during the first decade of the 1900s, coming initially from Portland to Wilsonville, then on to Salem and Eugene after construction of a mile-long trestle across the Willamette River was completed in 1907.

With the coming of the railroad trestle, prospering riverbank establishments moved north along Boones Ferry Road to be near the train depot, creating a new town center.

The laying of the railroad tracks and trestle slowly put an end to the riverboat business and the 38 steamboat landings in the eight-mile stretch between Canby Ferry and the old wheat port of Butteville. Up until that time most everything was transported along the river on steamboats.

There were 16 trains a day between Portland and Eugene, eight going north and eight southbound. Fastest of the trains – the “Capitol City Flyer” – left Portland at 9:15 a.m. daily and arrived in Salem at 10:50 a.m.

Many Wilsonville students rode the Oregon Electric into Portland to attend high school. The rail cars carried people and products to Portland in about 45 minutes.

By
Site of the Train Depot Marker image. Click for full size.
By Douglass Halvorsen, December 5, 2018
2. Site of the Train Depot Marker
1926, the volume of auto traffic cut so deeply into Oregon Electric passenger train revenue that the railroad discontinued passenger service. The ferryboat, however, still proved convenient for farmer and traveler and continued to operate 24 hours a day, seven days a week, averaging 80-90 trips every eight hours.

The train depot was eventually converted into an agricultural supply store and the building was finally torn down in the late 1950s.
 
Erected by Wilsonville-Boones Ferry Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsWaterways & Vessels.
 
Location. 45° 17.919′ N, 122° 46.458′ W. Marker is in Wilsonville, Oregon, in Clackamas County. Marker is on SW Boones Ferry Rd, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilsonville OR 97070, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Drug Store and Lodge Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Norris Young Machine Shop (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cottage Hotel (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The “Old Church” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Bill Flynn’s Saloon (approx. ¼ mile away); Boone’s Landing
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Tauchman House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wilsonville Baseball (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilsonville.
 
Also see . . .  Wilsonville History in Photos. (Submitted on December 8, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon.)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 62 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on December 8, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 8, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Oct. 23, 2020