Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Irapuato, Guanajuato, Mexico — The Central Highlands (North America)
 

Temple of the Third Order

 
 
Temple of the Third Order Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, December 8, 2018
1. Temple of the Third Order Marker
Inscription.  

Templo de la Tercera Orden
Fue construido gracias a la donación del terreno y dinero de doña Inés de Oropeza, viuda de don José López Gutiérrez, en el año de 27 de mayo de 1737.

Dedicado inicialmente a San Buenaventura.

La Iglesia es de cruz latina cubierta con bóveda de cañón corrido, recibida con semicolumnas sólidas, caracteristicas, al igual que el resto del interior, de la sencillez franciscana. Sus retablos originales fueron sustituidos por retablos neoclásicos.

Su pórtico principal, sencillo, armónico y proporcionado, con sus estipites semicolumnas separadas del muro que lo remarcan, encarna con la mayor claridad el estilo barroco estipite que es representativo y casi único del Bajío.

Por siglos inconclusa, su única torre fue terminada, al igual que la propia del templo del Convento, en época del superiorato fray Joel Medina O.F.M en los años sesenta, en cuya estructura se encuentra colocado el reloj que primeramente integrado a la original torre del reloj en el Jardín Principal, fue donado a la ciudad por el entonces presidente de la república Álvaro Obregón.

English:
Temple
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the Third Order

It was built thanks to a donation of land and money from Doña Inés de Oropeza, widow of Don José López Gutiérrez, on May 27th, 1737.

It was initially dedicated to Saint Bonaventure.

The Church is of Latin cross covered with a barrel vault, received with semi solid, features, like the rest of the interior, of the Franciscan simplicity. Their original altarpieces were replaced by neoclassical retables.

Its main, simple, harmonious and proportioned porch with their pilasters or semi-columns separated from the wall that stresses it, most clearly embodies the Baroque Stipe which is almost unique and representative of the Bajío.

For unfinished centuries, its single tower was completed, as well as their own Temple of the Monastery, in time of the superior fray Joel Medina O.F.M in the sixties, in whose structure is placed the clock, first joined to the original tower of the clock in the Main Garden, was donated to the city by the then President of the Republic Álvaro Obregón.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureColonial EraMan-Made Features. A significant historical date for this entry is May 27, 1737.
 
Location. 20° 40.363′ N, 101° 20.79′ W. Marker is in Irapuato, Guanajuato. Marker is on Juárez just south of Calle Ramón Barreto de Tábora,
An interior view of the Temple of the Third Order image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, December 8, 2018
2. An interior view of the Temple of the Third Order
on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Irapuato GTO 36500, Mexico. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Temple of the Convent / Temple of the Third Order (within shouting distance of this marker); Temple of the Convent (within shouting distance of this marker); Temple of Solitude (about 180 meters away, measured in a direct line); Major Plaza (about 210 meters away); Irapuato Cathedral (about 210 meters away); Saint Joseph Church (about 240 meters away); Founding of Irapuato (about 240 meters away); Darío Díaz (approx. 16.5 kilometers away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Irapuato.
 
Temple of the Third Order and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, December 8, 2018
3. Temple of the Third Order and Marker
The marker is to the right of the main entrance to the temple.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 12, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 116 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 12, 2018, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=127340

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024