Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Colton in San Bernardino County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Agua Mansa Cemetery

 
 
Agua Mansa Marker image. Click for full size.
By Drew W, March 16, 2013
1. Agua Mansa Marker
Inscription.  This historic site marks the resting place of the pioneers of the Agua Mansa area which was started about 1840. The preservation of this cemetery began in 1951.
 
Erected 1961 by Jurupa Palor No. 296 Native Daughters of the Golden West. (Marker Number 121.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series lists.
 
Location. 34° 2.422′ N, 117° 21.885′ W. Marker is in Colton, California, in San Bernardino County. Marker is on Agua Mansa Road 0.2 miles east of South Riverside Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2001 Agua Mansa Road, Colton CA 92324, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Trujillo Adobe (approx. 1.7 miles away); Highgrove Hydroelectric Plant (approx. 2.4 miles away); Harada House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Robidoux Grist Mill Site
Agua Mansa Marker image. Click for full size.
By Drew W, March 16, 2013
2. Agua Mansa Marker
(approx. 3.9 miles away); Mount Rubidoux (approx. 4 miles away); Mission Inn (approx. 4 miles away); Lt Col Shunzo Kido (approx. 4.1 miles away); Jensen-Alvarado Ranch (approx. 4.4 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This is California Historical Landmark No. 121.
California Historical Landmark Statement of Significance:
Don Juan Bandini, owner of the Jurupa Rancho, donated parts of his rancho to a group of New Mexican colonists in 1845 on the understanding that they would aid in repelling Indian raids on his stock. The community was named Agua Mansa - Gentle Water - and was prosperous until 1862, when a great flood suddenly swept down the Santa Ana, carrying away the village of adobe buildings and covering the fields with sand and gravel. The village was rebuilt on higher ground, but never regained its former prosperity.
 
Agua Mansa Marker image. Click for full size.
By Drew W, March 16, 2013
3. Agua Mansa Marker
The marker is visible behind the fence.
Agua Mansa Marker image. Click for full size.
By Drew W, March 16, 2013
4. Agua Mansa Marker
Agua Mansa image. Click for full size.
By Drew W, March 16, 2013
5. Agua Mansa
Pioneer Memorial Cemetery
Established 1854
California State Historic Landmark
A branch of the San Bernardino County Museum
The Bridge Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Drew W, March 16, 2013
6. The Bridge Plaque
This plaque is mounted on a brick wall at the entrance to the cemetery.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2013, by Drew W of Vista, California. This page has been viewed 563 times since then and 47 times this year. Last updated on December 13, 2018, by Craig Baker of Sylmar, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 26, 2013, by Drew W of Vista, California. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Nov. 27, 2020