Trenton in Edgefield County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Horn's Creek Church
Early Edgefield County History
Founded in 1768 as a result of a religious revival sweeping the American colonies known as the "Great Awakening," Horn's Creek Baptist church was one of the first churches established in the South Carolina backcountry. The church quickly became the religious and social center of a large area and was the focal point of much activity during the Colonial and Revolutionary years.
During the same time as the founding of Horn's Creek Church, law-abiding citizens were engaged in an effort to bring law and order to the frontier. Crime had become a major problem in the backcountry following the Cherokee War of 1760-1761, but there were no courts or law enforcement officials to bring the criminals to justice. in desperation, law-abiding citizens from across the backcountry of North and South Carolina formed a vigilante organization and called themselves "The Regulators." Chief among the Regulators in this area was Lawrence Rambo, an early settler and one of the founding members of Horn's Creek Church.
The American Revolution
Throughout the duration of the war, from
Erected by South Carolina Heritage Corridor.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the South Carolina Heritage Corridor series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1768.
Location. 33° 43.267′ N, 81° 56.183′ W. Marker is in Trenton, South Carolina, in Edgefield County. Marker is on Old Stage Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is to the right of the church's front entrance. The church is located just south of the intersection of Old State and Yarborough Roads (both dirt roads). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trenton SC 29847, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Horns Creek Baptist Church / Revolutionary Skirmish at Horns Creek (within shouting distance of this marker); Darby (approx. 3.8 miles away); Benjamin Ryan TillmanJohn Gary Evans (approx. 4.2 miles away); John Calhoun Sheppard (approx. 4.2 miles away); James Strom Thurmond (approx. 4.3 miles away); Milledge Luke Bonham (approx. 4.3 miles away); Richard Tutt House / Tutt Cemetery (approx. 4.3 miles away); Francis Wilkinson Pickens (approx. 4.4 miles away); James Henry Hammond (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trenton.
Also see . . . Horns Creek Baptist Church. One of the oldest Baptist churches in the South Carolina Upcountry, Horn Creek was incorporated in 1790. (Submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
1. Horn Creek Baptist Church
Horn Creek Baptist Church, incorporated in 1790, a simple one-roomed country church, has no electricity and remains essentially unchanged. Supported by fieldstone foundation piers, the church has wooden steps; two front door hinged to fold in center; wide board floors and louver shutters. Door behind pulpit leads to creek for baptizing. Adjoining
One of oldest Baptist churches in South Carolina up country, Horn Creek was incorporated in 1790. One of few remaining meeting house style churches reflecting austere simplicity and manifesting frugality of early settlers. Revolutionary activity in the Horn Creek area included 1781 skirmish in which Patriots, Captain Thomas Kee of Colonel Leroy Hammond’s regiment, attached Tory party under Captain Clark. Clark was killed, and entire company made prisoners. Church burial ground has 18th century graves in fair condition. Plot fencing very from ornate iron work to old wooden pickets. (Source: National Register nomination form.)
— Submitted August 6, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
2. Early Back-Country Churches: Horns Creek Church
Horns Creek Church, located about five miles south of the town of Edgefield and said to have been constituted about 1768, was probably a branch of Stephens Creek Church, though the history of its early years is lost. Rev. Messrs. Daniel Marshall, Saunders Walker,
"Hezekiah Walker, John Frasier, and Samuel Walker with several other members...did their petition" ask and obtain incorporation by act of January 20, 1790, naming "The Baptist Church on Horns Creek in Edgefield County, in the State of South Carolina." John Bolger, a candidate for the ministry in 1792, soon left them.
Horns Creek asked dismissal from Georgia Association in 1801 to enter the Bethel Association in the next years. The important men in the congregation in 1802 were Samuel March and John Landrum, both of whom were ministers in 1803. This was a large and active church.
A second Horns Creek Church appears to have existed in 1790, which may have been a branch of Horns Creek. though more probably of Stephens Creek. Nothing is known of its location or history beyond the fact that Benjamin Harry was minister and the membership varied from twenty to twenty-five between 1790 and 1794. (Source: South Carolina Baptists, 1670-1805
— Submitted January 1, 2010, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 2,838 times since then and 117 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 2, 3. submitted on August 6, 2009, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11. submitted on October 21, 2008, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.