Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Gerrardstown in Berkeley County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Gerard House

 
 
Gerard House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, September 28, 2008
1. Gerard House Marker
Inscription.  Built by John Hays, 1743. Became home of Reverend David Gerard, who founded Gerrardstown in 1787. His father was Reverend John Gerard, the first Baptist Minister west of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
 
Erected 1978 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list.
 
Location. 39° 22.178′ N, 78° 5.822′ W. Marker is in Gerrardstown, West Virginia, in Berkeley County. Marker is on Dominion Road 0.1 miles south of Gerrardstown Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gerrardstown WV 25420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mill Creek Baptist Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Malin-Wilson-Gray House (about 500 feet away); Gerrardstown Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); Gerrardstown (about
Gerard House image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, September 28, 2008
2. Gerard House
700 feet away); Morgan Cabin (approx. 2.7 miles away); Cool Spring Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Zacquill Morgan House (approx. 2.7 miles away); Christ Church (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gerrardstown.
 
Gerard House image. Click for full size.
By Beverly Pfingsten, September 28, 2008
3. Gerard House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 21, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,854 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on October 21, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 26, 2020