Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, March 26, 2021
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
One of the first four Monroe County Historical Society markers to be refurbished in blue and silver and placed at Loranger Square.
Inscription.  
This Church, the first Protestant Church in this area and the first Presbyterian Church in Michigan, was organized January 13, 1820. “Minuteman” George Alford, of the Revolutionary War, was one of the charter members.
The Rev. John Monteith, who later became the first president of the University of Michigan, conducted services here July 2, 1816 in the old log courthouse. In it the Presbyterians organized this church. Its Sunday School, the first in the Great Northwest Territory, was attended by persons of many faiths. They later helped organize the Monroe County Bible Society.
Rev. Monteith dedicated the present building February 15, 1848, Col. Oliver Johnson having donated the site.
It was here that Gen. George Armstrong Custer married Elizabeth Bacon.
 
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is January 13, 1882.
 
Location. 41° 54.903′ N, 83° 23.832′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of Washington Street and East 1st Street, on the left when traveling north on Washington Street. The marker is located on the church grounds, near the intersection of Washington Street and East 1st Street, in front of church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 Washington St, Monroe MI 48161, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Whipping Post (a few steps from this marker); Doctor Eduard Dorsch (within shouting distance of this marker); Monroe County Since 1817 (within shouting distance of this marker); The County of Monroe (within shouting distance of this marker); Joseph Loranger 1817 (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Relic of the Battle of the Raisin (within shouting distance of this marker); Beneath this fountain (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monroe.
 
More about this marker. The marker is significantly weathered and the finish is fading.
 
First Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J.T. Lambrou, March 26, 2021
2. First Presbyterian Church
Restored marker in front of the church
First Presbyterian Church, Monroe, Michigan image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 22, 2013
3. First Presbyterian Church, Monroe, Michigan
Front view of the church.
First Presbyterian Church, Monroe, Michican image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 22, 2013
4. First Presbyterian Church, Monroe, Michican
Organized January 13, 1820.
First Presbyterian Church, Monroe, Michigan image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 22, 2013
5. First Presbyterian Church, Monroe, Michigan
Closer view of the front windows.
First Presbyterian Church, Monroe, Michigan image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 22, 2013
6. First Presbyterian Church, Monroe, Michigan
Erected 1846
First Presbyterian Church, Monroe, Michigan image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 22, 2013
7. First Presbyterian Church, Monroe, Michigan
Former First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 22, 2013
8. Former First Presbyterian Church Marker
Former First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 22, 2013
9. Former First Presbyterian Church Marker
Wide view, looking across the church courtyard toward the building front.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 659 times since then and 64 times this year. Last updated on December 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.   3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on March 22, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=127983

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 20, 2024